• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

house license

Grandee

I just bought a fish house and the DNR said I had to get a trailer license for it. Went down to the license depot and they said if the house is permanently connected to the trailer I did not need a trailer license. What's the scoop?Thanks

if it is just a fish house, you do not need a trailer license for it. if you use it for things other than just fishing, such as an enclosed trailer for wheelers, or for a camper in the summer, then you will need to buy a license for it. as long as it's a fish house and that's all you use it for, no trailer license is needed, just a shelter tag.

A fish house is considered "Special Purpose Equipment" and is in the same league as towed air compressors, log splitters, asphalt patching equipment, etc... All of these do NOT need any liscense to pulled on the roads. I know this to be fact-it is part of my job to perform commercial vehicle inspections and I need to know these things. Just don't load anything such as a four wheeler or snowmobile in it and you are safe. Also, it needs to comply with standard safety features such as wheel wells, tail lights, safety chains, and the like to use on public roadways even if it does not need to be liscensed.

My pleasure. One thing that I forgot to mention is that some equipment may not need lights (such as log splitters) if it does not block the view of the towing vehicles tail lights. Just make sure you have red reflectors (2"x4") at the rear of the towed unit.