• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

electrical ?

colonel42

I need to know what size wire I need to buy for connecting a subpanel to my exsisting 100 amp service. My electricain is on vacation and just want to buy it for him when he returns. Thanks for any info.

You need to tell us what size is the sub panel, 30amp,60amp?

Copper, aluminum? I am assuming you will be running some sort of NM cable, or is it in pipe? (The last part really doesn't have to do with wire size, just the type of wire.)

Is it a long distance away? Bigger wire is less voltage drop.

It is a 100 amp subpanel. Located three inches from my main . I will be putting in a 50 amp breaker in my main and feeding my sub panel off that. In the sub panel there will be a 30 amp breaker to run my sauna stove which draws 30 amp plus two 15 amps for lights.

Quote:

I need to know what size wire I need to buy for connecting a subpanel to my exsisting 100 amp service. My electricain is on vacation and just want to buy it for him when he returns. Thanks for any info.

For the few feet of wire he would need I would think he would have it on his truck. ? just adding 2 15 and a 30amp no room in the main panel for this.

Nope nothing in his truck. He works at the mines. I bought #8-3 and hooked it up last night. Found a great site on the web that give detailed information and also pictures. Accually a pretty easy thing to do. Plus had a buddy who is an electrician watch me do it. Going to fire up the sauna tonight and try it out. Thanks to all for the helpful info.