• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiffy Auger Question

huntnfish

Question

A friend of mine just bought an old 6" Jiffy auger that looks like an old model 30. It is the one with the handle on the top of the recoil and the bar coming out from the gearbox. He wants something bigger than a 6" and is looking at bigger augers. Is it possible to buy a newer auger and be able to mount it? His turns the same way as the newer ones and the new augers look like they will work but he would like something other than my "expert" opinion before he shells out the cash on a new one.

2 answers to this question

Here is an idea that may help. What I did was exactly the opposite of what you intend to do, but the principle is the same. I have a Strikemaster 3000 that has a 10" bit. This was too heavy for my usual needs. (Bigger is better right?) I had an older Mora 8" hand auger that had a bent crank. I made an adapter out of a 8" extention and mated the two together. No cost involved, and now very light. The Strikemaster works very well with the light weight Mora auger bit.