• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Yamaha sxr 500 problems

lancer

Hey Guys,

I have been having trouble with the performance of my sled. The machine seems to run strong until it warms up, then it developes some hesitation. I am not sure if this is a carb or clutch problem. My gas mileage has also been really bad at around 6-7mpg. This was the case on my last 4 rides last year. One of the rides the machine pulled a little better and got about 9.5mpg.

Any help would be appreciated.

Check your float levels. I had 2 sx 500s and the fuel level is real critical, If fuel level is 2 high machine will run richer as it warms up and fuel milage will be poor, Also make sure your pistons are not scored, machine will still run but have poor overall performance

I can tell ya this. I have been a small engine/snowmobile machanic for more the 25 years. I have never seen a Manf. have more problems with certain engines then Yamaha with it's 500 and 600 twin.

I along with several Yamaha dealers have worked on a nieghbors V-MAX 600. The thing has been a lemon since day one. Another friend from our snowmobile club, same thing...nothing but one problem after another.

Both of them complained about the same problems you have..VERY POOR MILAGE, running on one cylnder, power, then no power.

Thanks for the input. The plugs look as if the machine is running a hair rich. Maybe I'll start with the carb then. This machine has always been a good runner, and with only 2000 miles I hope to get it back on track.