• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eye issue?

cjthomps

I've noticed an increase in eye matter in my English Springer's eyes over the last two weeks. I've checked her eyes closely and can't see anything abnormal and her pupils respond to light normally. It's just that I clean off "eye boogers" from the corners of her eyes about 4 times daily. It used to be that I would rarely have to do this because there wasn't much excess eye matter.

She's 17 months old and doesn't have any other health problems. Has anyone else ever encountered a serious health problem resulting from not responding in time to a similar condition? She hasn't been hunting in a little over a month, so I doubt it's an allergy/scratch to the eye causing the eye matter buildup.

I had this problem with my previous English Cocker. If you do not see any debris in the lids, you can try flushing the eyes with a sterile water. You might also have the vet check for Entropia, a condition where the eyelashes are caused to point inward and make contact with the cornea.

Does the eye appear to be irritated or just produce "boogers"? If it is irritated then it is quite possible that there is something stuck up under the third eye-lid. My Springer had something stuck under his eye that was bothering him and I had to take him into the vet to get it removed. At any rate, I would begin with Saline solution. Hold the eye open and flush eye out good. Hopefully that will take care of things. I always rinse my dogs eyes after each hunt.