• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

3 Season Porch

wannabeinely

What do you think it would cost me to build a 3 season porch doing the work myself(actually a couple family members that know what they're doing are going to help me)? Just looking for a "ballpark" figure. I know it will vary depending on window, flooring, etc. types of choices. Let's say around 12X12. Thanks.

Tuff to just throw a number out there with out knowing more. Do you have a porch already? do you have and entrance that you will be converting? Is this an addition that will be facing South (add more glass and looking at free solar heat) Matching siding and roof lines to the current house. Screening. windows, doors paint or stain. Ball park as cheap as 3-4k if you know what you are doing and shop for bargains to as much as you want 15k+ Hot tubs, skylights..

Just went through the porch ordeal. Arrive at a plan and then a budget. Go to the building supply place and look at the prices of ordinary stuff like studs, AC plywood, 2X6's etc. Then double the amount you THINK it will cost. Keep the design simple.Foundation? Footings and blocks? Make sure it sits on something solid.

All I wanted was a simple screen porch. When I wrote the final check I could have paid cash instead for a new small car! You can do it for less, but really think it out and then get a good idea of cost. And remember, costs will be UP this spring. Give a thought to buying materails now if you have a place to store them.

Oh. And beer. Ya gotta have a beer budget.

Beer budget is crucial!!!!! smile.gif Make sure that you quadruple what ever you are planning spending for this key necessity.

As stated before, it is hard to give you a ball park figure without more info. As Ufatz said price things out. I would draw out a blue print of what you want and then figure out your materials from that. If you cannot figure them out, find someone who can.

Thanks for your input. It will help me get going in the right direction. Beer budget is definitely most important. grin.gif I wasn't going to post the question because it is such an "open ended" question but figured I throw it out there anyway. We have a groundfloor (two steps to the ground outside) diningroom with a patio door and no deck. I was thinking of building a 3 season porch or screen porch there instead of a deck and keep the sliding glass patio door as is. I'd have to match the roof to the house and match the 1 year old vinyl siding. 2 sides would be windows all of the way across and one side would have windows and a storm door. Not sure what I want to do with the floor.(deck type floor, plywood flooring and carpet or tile???) Anymore comments, suggestions would be cool and appreciated. Thanks again.

For the $ you will be spending, you might as well be planning on making the accomodations for a "4 season" porch (sometimes known as a a sunroom addition). Go with insulated windows and doors and insulate the whole thing...you will thank yourself later.

lt