• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Skid Pins on plow

Ears

I just pulled mine off this morning, what a difference it makes plowing an asphalt driveway. Just be carful not to run it into the grass, it will dig hard. Also keep them around for those times you will be plowing a gravel driveway.

I have a Moose plow on my Artic Cat 400, and I took the pins off right away. I have a gravel driveway, but I put up with a bit of scraping. I do manage to keep the blade height up enough so it doesn't bind without the pins, but it does catch once in a while.With the pins on, it is worthless to plow a couple of inches of snow. That is why I took them off.

I just installed the 56" heavy duty V-plow on my 700 Polaris. Because my driveway is gravel and a 1/4 mile long I decided to leave the pins on. Recently we had a fifteen inch dumping of snow, crazy.gif but the 700 mad the task of clearing the driveway look like childs play! cool.gif If I was ploughing a paved driveway I would probably remove the skid pins.

I left mine on because I plow the snow up into the yard. I have a tar driveway and it works nice. Why leave the weight of the plow on your machine to lift it up a bit? This is what the pins are for. With the bad winters lately, the ground thaws before it snows and the lawn takes a bit of a beating no matter what. These pins also save on your cutting edge. Pins last longer than the cutting edge on a good plow.

BTW, mine is an eagle plow on a Prairie 650.

I do understand that the cutting edge will last longer with the pins on. With a couple of inches of snow on my short gravel driveway, if I don't scrape it clean as possible it will ice up in no time. With the slope on one side of the drive, during a thaw I get alot of water pooled up if there is too much compacted snow.I need a new load of gravel hauled in to bulk it up, or pave it. But no money for that right now.Pins stay off until then.