• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. 😀

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Reef Runner

My first Smoker

I'd go for whole or half chickens - if you ruin them you're only out a few dollars. Lotsa good sites on smokin' out there. Be stingy with the wood - I think most folks think that unless the fire dept shows up you're not using enough grin.gif Smoke after the first couple of hours only serves to build creosote or make the meat too smokey in my opinion, and a small stream from your outlet is really all that is needed.

I'd also start with Boston Butt- may be even have them cut in half if they are too big, you get a bit more 'bark' that way (more suface area) and they have enough fat in them to forgive too high of temps, another error most of us (at least me anyway) made.

Good luck!

I ate my first smoked duck breasts over thanksgiving with the inlaws and man were they good! If you've got any of them around, they'd be worth a try!

Chickens are pretty easy. Buy a couple of the wire stands so they sit up on the grill. I've used rubs and injectors...all are good.

I usually use hickory chunks. Works well with a turkey, too, but that takes all day. Enjoy!

Go for the whole turkey breast. It is big enough to cook a little while and to learn on too. Or try soaking a cheap ham and then putting that on for a few hours.

What temp do you cook your whole chickens at? and for how long? I tried it once and it just turned out OK, but I think my temp was to low.

Turkey legs and pork chops

Cheap and good

I agree with go easy on the wood. To much smoke makes meat bitter.