• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

One last time

KidWalleye

I realize this has been a frequenly asked question but before I drop $300 on a scope I would like to ask everyone your opinions. I am looking at the Leopold Vari X II. I really don't want to spend more than $300. I got a new ruger 7 mil stainless with a laminated stock. I have never bought a scope before. Also what do you think about those flip up lens protectors? Thanks alot Kidwalleye

Good Hunting!

No worries, you can get something very decent in that price range. You already mentioned a good one if you can get it for the price. Anther I would take a look at is the Nikon Pro Staff line. It cheaper and is actaully not too bad. There are others as well. My personal recommendation is to spend is much as you can on the optics. You will never look back and say "I can't believe I bought that for that much money" if it performes well. If you go cheap you will want to replace it in a few years. Good luck!

Ooops, sorry, did not respond to your second question. YES, by all means, get the scope caps/covers that flip up. they are cheap and provide great protection for your lenses...especially when snowing or raining (not to mention dust). GET THEM!

Quote:

I realize this has been a frequenly asked question but before I drop $300 on a scope I would like to ask everyone your opinions. I am looking at the Leopold Vari X II. I really don't want to spend more than $300. I got a new ruger 7 mil stainless with a laminated stock. I have never bought a scope before. Also what do you think about those flip up lens protectors? Thanks alot Kidwalleye

Good Hunting!

I hunt with two guys that have the exact same setup and they love them. I have two VX 2 and love them they are well worth the price. Nikons are good too I just don't have the personal experience with them I do with Leupolds though.

Check out Optics4hunting a site sponsor and look at the Nikon Monarch's. I hear from a reliable source that he gives FM members deals too... (had to beat harveylee to the site sponsor plug on this one!! wink.gif).

If you like the VXII, buy the VXII. It is a great scope. Make sure the scope is manufactured recently (within the year) because Leupold revamped their VX series scopes about a year or two ago.

Nikon Monarchs have good glass, too; unfortunately, the eye relief is too short for my comfort.

As far as the flip-ups, they are great.

Funny, I thought that VX II's eye relief wasn't enough so I switched to Nikons. I've got a 6.5-20 on my varmint gun and a 3.3-10 titanium nikon on my 270 WSM. I used to have a VX II 6-18 on my varmint gun but just never got to like it. Nice optics but just couldn't get myself to like the eye relief. It now sits in my gun safe.