• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a good lab trainer specifically pheasants!

esox49

I need help finding a good trainer to help with my lab. She is a chocolate that will be three in March. She has had some training with pigeons, but I want someone who will specialize in pheasants since this is the only bird I hunt. Any suggestions?

Would be curious to know what specific problems you're having that would warrant needing a trainer specialized in pheasants. Pheasant hunting is probably the most basic form of hunting your dog will do. Have to assume that at 3, your dog is introduced to birds and gunfire. After that it's find the bird, retrieve the bird and stay in control until it happens again. The first two points are bred into the dog and just get better with experience. The third point is where the training is needed and that is an obedience issue that any good trainer can deal with. This is also the short coming with most dogs. Pretty easy to set out in the backyard with a new pup and toss bumpers and think "training" is going great because pup is doing what's instinctive. If you have a pointing lab, I could see needing the help of a trainer specializing in pointers. Add a little bit to your specific needs/desires and you should get lots of help and suggestions here.

esox49-

Look up Ed Fritz at Wildlife Kennels. He is located in Morristown just down the road from Ahlman's gun shop. He raises pheasants and specializes in labs. He is a no nonsense guy and you will not be disappointed. He even lets you come out and he will give you a free first time evaluation/session.

I cant think of a better place than Golden Meadows Shooting Preserve in Richmond MN. Julie is a top notch trainer and she is very reasonable. At 5 months old my pointing lab out hunted the two year old dogs we had in ND pheasant hunting this year!

I would throw Alamo Kennels in the mix. They are located in St. Cloud. I have worked there on and off for a few years plus I have a dog from there. They usually have live pheasants on hand, but atleast frozen ones. In the spring and fall they are at the game farm every other weekend. My friend is a trainer up there, and two summers ago he turned a 2 yr. old house lab into a pheasant hunting machine. This dog wouldn't touch a bird before, but now he is all over them.

I would also agree with minnesota musky i am a member of Elk Lake Heritage Preserve and Ed is a great guy and great trainer but i think he likes to take dogs for the whole summer. Last spring i just wanted him to take my dog for a couple of weeks and he wouldnt do it. But give him a shot anyway

He was right in not taking your dog. It is next to impossible to get anything done in that short of a time period.

If one is not ready to leave the dog with a trainer for a minimum of the 3 months like Ed wanted you to you are wasting his time and your money.