• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

85mm - 200mm for portraits?

I was reading Canons tips area on their HSOforum and noticed it said to use an 85mm-200mm lense for portraits. So, I tried it. Wow! I was really impressed. Yesterday, I tried to take a chrismas photo of my family. I wish I knew to try the Telephoto (75-300) lense instead of the 18-55mm lense.

Being the photo newbie that I am, I thought the Telephoto was used to reach out and grab far away shots, while the 18-55 was for closer shots. Guess I was wrong?

Now, my question is, what's the main advantage of the 18-55mm lense? Both are the Canon cheaper lenses.

A wide angle lens is best when you NEED a wide angle, when you're in cramped quarters and have to get in a wide sweep of items, or if in a landscape shot you want the same thing from farther back.

The telephoto makes such a great portrait lens because its depth of focus is so much shallower than a wide angle lens. This renders the background blurry, focusing attention on the subject. When I'm on a wedding or informal portrait shoot, I almost always stand off and use the 100-400L IS for nice tight portraits. Lets you stay out of people's way, and it blurs that background nicely.

As an example, look at my avatar. That was shot by a client using a Canon 500mm f4L from 100 yards away. Notice the foreground, which is just a few feet in front of me, and the background are completely blurred, which puts the emphasis on the subject. If my client had shot that from up close with a wide-angle lens, all the vegetation around me would have been in focus and very distracting for a portrait.

So, the key is that wide-angle and telephoto lenses have inherently different depths of focus. If your 18-55 is at 18mm and f5.6, the depth of what's in focus can be measured in a few feet. The 500mm at f5.6 would have a depth of focus measured in bare inches.

The tradeoff here is that shooting portraits with a telephoto is great for single subjects or couples who are on the same focus plane, but if you're shooting a handful of people, some standing in front of or behind each other, it's hard to get everyone in focus with a powerful telephoto because of that shallow depth of focus.

Here are a couple examples from an imformal portrait shoot I did yesterday on Lake Vermilion. The first image was shot with the 17-40L at about 20mm and about f7.1. Notice all the elements surrounding the family that are in focus. But I needed the wide angle because there wasn't room to back up far enough for a telephoto and still get the image. Note for nitpickers grin.gif: Glints in the glasses will be removed in photoshop after prints are ordered.

onsteps.jpg

This one was shot with the 100-400L IS at 400mm and f7.1. Background is quite blurry, emphasizing the mom and daughter, and by making sure the background was a couple hundred yards away it made for a greater amount of blurring.

Jodi-Tori.jpg

Thanks for the reply!

This photo may not be the greatest technically wise,... But I really like it.

85mm.jpg

This camera (Canon Digital XT) has sooo many features, I dont know If I'll ever get them figured out. =) For now, i'm mainly just trying the different auto modes it has.

Looks nice to me. Very sweet catchlight in the girl's eyes, too. Any way you can knock it down to about 600 or 700 pixels across and re-post it? It's about twice as wide as my browser window, which makes me scroll back and forth and I can't see the whole image at once because it's so big.

Good work, though. grin.gif

Thanks for the resize! grin.gif

Have fun learning the ins and outs of the XT. Lots to learn there, and no doubt you've already found out how good a friend the owner's manual can be. I still only know about half to 2/3 of what my 20D can do, and most of the time I've got to consult the manual on how to do some things even after I remember the camera's capable of doing them. grin.gif