• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used Bow Question

PaulB

My son is interested in getting into bowhunting. He has cousins who are involved now. I'm thinking of getting him some used equipment instead of investing a ton in new right off the bat. I saw an ad for a PSE Lightning with arrows, quiver, release, stabilizer, sights and cases for $150. Is that a reasonable deal, assuming the gear is in good shape? There's no "blue book" for this stuff, so I'm looking for some experienced opinions. Or am I better off with something like a Fred Bear Buckmaster set, but then I have to still buy all the extras. Thanks in advance for your responses.

The problem with buying used is, making sure it fits him. You unfortunatly cant just buy any old bow that you get a great deal on. Because if it doesnt fit him, he wont shoot well, and will probably not love the sport.

Unfortunatly, I am not familiar with the PSE lightning, or its worth? I just did a google search for a PSE lightning.. and saw quite a few for about the same money you are talking about.

Your best bet might be to go to a archery pro shop and see if they have a used one that will fit him. The only problem that I see with this is there prices might be a bit higher and will cost more than you want to spend but you will end up with a bow that should not need repairs and will also be the right sized bow. Good luck in your shopping.

I'm not too experienced in archery, and can't add anything to Tom or Dietz' knowledge, but I would just throw in this thought. See if the guy will let you try it out and take it to an archery shop where they can check it out for you. You'll have to pay them some, but if they can see it fits and can see its in good shape, it would be worth it. Then they can give you a tune up and set it up for you and he'd be good to go. You'd need that anyway with a used bow I think...