• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

overly submissive puppy

hookset

I have a 5 month old male lab that piddles when i call him over. He never dose this for my wife or kids(5). Is it because I am the only male in the house and he knows I am the boss?(at least I think I am).

will he grow out of it?

thanks

joe

I have a pup that would growl at people when he ate. After I punished him for doing it several times he would pee when I yelled at him for doing it the next time. He also ran from his food after I yelled at him. He quit growling and no longer pees when I yell at him. He is now 8 months old and is doing well. So, I guess my pup grew out of it. My guess is he will also!

LovenLifeGuy

I would also try making him come to you for a lot of fun reasons, IE treats and more treats, play with the throwing dummy, have his tummy scratched, but do so while you are at his level like sitting on the floor, or laying down on the floor.

Good luck!

I think it is a pretty common thing. My current dog did it until he was almost 2 years old. I have also had others that have done it. They grow out of it. With my current dog, it cost him his chance to be in the house. My wife would not put up with the urine on the floor because our kids were crawlers at the time.

As a side note - even though my dog would piddle, he was a long ways from what I would call submissive.

I would have the same issue with mine, except mine is female. It is not a submisive thing. When you call him have a favorite toy or sock that he likes to play with. "play" with him. Also when you call raise the pitch of your voice, I have a low voice and that seems to bother them. Have the dog become your friend.