• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thorne Rod for Crappies?

Fishin Beast

I have been thinking about getting one of the rods from Thorne Bros. I am mostly fishing crappies with this rod, but while catching crappies, walleyes and big sunfish are also around. What rod am I looking at buying?

I haven't tried any of the Thorne rods, but pictured a panfish rod as a little too light of a setup to handle the larger sized fish.

(I am also posting this in here just in case someone else was thinking the same thing.)

You are making a wise choice in looking for a Thorne Bros rod.I have a few but I am not a expert on which model would suit you best.Matt Johnson will see this and add a post with the best all around rod for you.

If you have a chance to get to the Ice show this weekend you could stop by thier booth and talk to him and hold and feel all there rods.

Fought with the same question myself this weekend. I already own an all-star panfish line up - 2 power noodles, a 24" panfish sweetheart and a sweetpea. After tackling a some larger crappies last year, was looking for something with a little more tussle to it...

I ended up with the 28" perch sweetheart. I think that rod will be heavy enough for the big panfish and occasional walleye that I run into, yet, still short enough to fish comfortably in the portable or with a thorne spring bobber.

Fishing out of the portable is pretty much my full time activity, and I needed a rod that I could still get a good hookset from the fishtrap pro (short ceiling, low seat).

I'll probably look at a longer panfish (or perch, if I decide I really like it) sweetheart for outside fishing, but since I rarely hole hop for anything more than locating a hot hole, I can do that perfectly fine now with any of the above rods.

Another factor was using heavier line. Last year I broke off a number of fish on 2lb P-Line, so I wanted to upsize the line for landing the heavier fish, whereas if I wanted to stick with the lighter line I might have gone with the lighter, longer panfish rod.

I speak mainly from my past experiences, but since I have never fished with this rod before, I cant say that I chose correctly.

My top factors in choosing a new Thorne rod (of the same fish class) were:

1) ability to fish bigger baits and not impair the strike detecting mechanism be it the rod or the spring bobber

2) length - fishing out of a lower profile shack vs. outdoors

3) ability to leverage the rod when fighting bigger fish (power noodle wont break, but at some point the rod is not a factor and it's just your arm pulling on the fish)

I'm sure at some point I'll end up finding a new void I need to fill(I really like that finesse, but that's on the other end of the spectrum), but last season showed me that I really needed to top out the heavier end of the panfish lineup - like you mentioned.

BD

Fishin Beast,

Trouthunter hit it right on the head... I would go with the Perch Sweetheart. It will handle any walleye, yet it still performs very well on panfish and perch. I would consider the Perch Sweetheart as one of the most versatile rods that Thorne Bros makes for ice fishing. It's very sensitive with a quick tip and a solid backbone. You can also put a spring bobber in the tip of it for days when you need to put a whoopin on those finicky pannies and perch smile.gif

You'll probably want to stick with the 28-inch version. It also comes in 32-inch (both inside and outside versions), but the 28-inch is more versatile and will suit your needs much better.

Add a Tice Cetus LF500 with 3 or 4 pound P-Line Floroclear and you're good to do. Set-up will cost you about $80 when all is said and done, and you'll be ready to tackle a wide-variety of conditions and fishing situations...

TB Perch Sweetheart is my "all around", pretty much do everything ice fishing stick. I love that rod and will be picking up another one in a few days.

Its an absolutely great rod for ice fishing Upper Red Lake crappies. And is also my go to rod on Lake of the Woods unless I start fishing heavier spoons and swimbaits, then I grab a walleye sweetheart.

This rod has landed a few walleyes in the 7-9lb range and one big slimer pushing 20lbs. It can handle big fish. It is also sensitive enough to fish small baits effectively.

I would probably look to a different rod if it would be strictly for bluegills though. But like the others have mentioned, put a spring bobber on the tip and you'll be good to go for gills as well.

I ended up going into Thorne Bros and got the Perch Sweetheart with the Cetus LF500 and #4 Floro. Looks like an awesome setup. I am itching to get the Panfish Sweetheart also but that might have to wait until next year. The gf asked if I had to spend that much every year for rods and reels. I just smiled and said yes smile.gif

Question? How does the Thorne Bros. rod compare with a St. Croix rod? Are they similar or, no comparison? I have a couple of St. Croix's and they seem to work just fine. They weren't too expensive either, maybe $20-25 bucks. How much is the Perch? Am I missing out on something?

Ole

I will say this in all honesty. I have bought and used many different rods and the St.Croix also. I have numerous Thorne Bros rods and they are the only ones I have not had a problem with. Some the tip tops have come loose or off.

Yes, the Thorne rods are very sensitive rods and the St Croixs are not bad either. I have decided that I personally will buy all the Thorne Bros rods as I have not had any problems and they are well built along with very sensitive.

The tip of the rod is soft enough to play with the pannies with a spring bobber and the backbone is firm enough to pull in those eyes. Very versatile rod.

I believe the price on the Perch Sweetheart is 51.99 plus shipping.

Quote:

Question? How does the Thorne Bros. rod compare with a St. Croix rod? Are they similar or, no comparison?

Personally, I don't think they compare at all. St. Croix is a good rod but Thorne Bros is a step above.

I'm not quite sure how to describe it but the "feel" of a Thorne rod while jigging can't be matched by any other rod. They are very sensitive, very smooth, and it feels like I have control over the rod. Worth every penny.