• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is EOS?

Hey stcatfish, I have been looking at the canon digital SLR cameras and I can't seem to figure out what they are talking about with this EOS thing. Do you know what it is? I'm sure I'll be rolling my eyes and feeling a little stupid when I hear the answer! grin.gif

Thanks

Airjer

Hey, no prob. EOS was a line of cameras started by Canon back in the days of film.

I don't know when the first EOS came out, but I've been shooting Canon EOS style bodies for about 15 years, shooting the AE series before that.

EOS stands for Electro-Optical System, and EOS cameras have specific control conventions, methods of metering and autofocus and layouts that tend to stay generally the same no matter what the EOS model you choose, though they are continually refined and tinkered with and there are some differences in controls depending on camera model. Canon still makes EOS film cameras, including some of the best film cameras out there, and when they added digital SLRs to the market, they retained the EOS style. All Canon digital SLRs are EOS-style cameras.