• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slab crappies

harvey lee

I was fishing a lake today in SC. Mn and the slab crappies were biting pretty good.I caught approx 30 of which the majority were from 12-13.5 with one being my personal best at 15.7 inches.All fish were caught at 12-13 fow with a size 8 Ratso with a white plastic.

The gills were also biting but they were in the 10-12 foot range and were caught on the same bait.All fish caught near the bottom with a very slow drift.

This was the best darn gill day maybe for the summer.I cannot wait for first ice.

I need to buy a digital camera and I believe that my son is buying me one for Christmas so I have to wait.Look at my avatar and add a inch.

It stinks when I dont get pictures of some fish and game for future use.

Sorry,that was my old avatar.Changed for the season.Now,if Matt would have been with then the pictures would be up.He is my camera man.

We have been fortunate lately in getting into some really nice slabs, 12 to 13 inches and a few a bit better! Ya gotta work for em though! They don't give themselves up easy!

We have never gotten more then 10 slabs between two of us...lately anyways, since about early September. After the initial bite, they shut off and most of the time it would be 1 or 2 mongo fish for an outing. That changed about a week or so ago! smile.gif

The walleyes are staring to bite also, right along with the crappies. They are hitting on a variety of baits, feather jigs, tube jigs, twisters, and crappie minnows fished across the bottom, or under a float.

When they slow down, or stop on one thing, you throw them something else and you just keep the rotation going.

I don't know what it is, but for a fish that is basically black and white, these fall crappies are some beautifully colored fish...brilliant....black, white, green, yellow, purple, in the faintest of tones, all perfectly blended on those big slab bodies!