• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Attn. Cat owners!

Macgyver55

Some of you probably already know this, but its probably worth checking if your model is included or not.

Arctic Cat recalls 50,500 snowmobiles

In its second major recall in six months, Arctic Cat said Tuesday that 50,500 of its snowmobiles need repair because of potential steering-control problems.

The Thief River Falls-based manufacturer has received 42 reports of defective steering from riders who lost control on certain models made between 2002 and 2006. No injuries were reported, but owners are advised not to ride the machines until they've taken them to a dealer for free repairs.

Last April, Arctic Cat recalled 52,000 snowmobiles because of potentially faulty fuel tanks that could crack and leak. No injuries were reported in that instance either, but customers filed 217 warranty claims.

In Arctic Cat's notice this week to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, company officials said the steering shaft on certain snowmobiles can fail at the steering shaft/steering arm attachment.

"This could cause a loss of steering control of the vehicle, and result in injury or death," the company said.

The problematic models were sold at Arctic Cat dealerships worldwide from May 2001 through April 2006.

News of the latest problem comes after Arctic Cat in July posted a fiscal first-quarter loss of $4.5 million, or 23 cents per share, because of falling snowmobile sales and production schedule changes. Arctic Cat shares closed Tuesday at $16.19, down from a 52-week high of $25.75.

Tuesday's snowmobile recall include the following models: the 440 Sno Pro made in 2002 and the Firecat 500/600/700s, Firecat 700 Sno Pro, and 440 Sno Pro models made in 2003.

The 2004 recalls included all Firecat 500/600/700 (STD and Sno Pros) and Sabercat 500/600/700 models. The 2005 recalls are for all Firecat 500/600/700s, M5, M6, M7 and Sabercat 500/600/700 models. The 2006 models include the Crossfire 600/700, Firecat 500/600/700, Firecat 700 Sno Pro, Sabercat 500/600/700 and all M-Series.

Company officials said customers with questions should call Arctic Cat at 1-800-279-6851. Phone lines will be open between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

There is also a gas tank recall too on most Firecats. That recall popped up this summer, so talk to your dealers..

Since a string of bad luck travel in 3's....I'm just waiting for #3 so I don't have to haul mine back 40 miles to the nearest dealer. smirk.gif

I have two recalls now, so when I take it out of storage, I can get both done at the same time.

the guys at artic cat are class acts, I get into a special drawing for a free snowmobile. they are giving 5 sleds of your choice away for the 50,000 that get the repairs done before oct 31.

I think I will pick the crossfire 1000.