• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Some sports photos

I know there are a couple shooters here who focus on sports a lot. I do it only because I work for a weekly newspaper that publishes a lot of sports. Here's a bit of what the much maligned 100-400L IS f4.5-5.6 can do with sports and a little light. There's no getting around that, at such an f-stop, it's no indoor sports lens, but there you go. All with the Canon 20D, the lens wide open at 300 or 400mm. The football shots were taken at the very last light of sunset on a clear evening (this evening, in fact). All were shot using the Al servo focus mode (automatically calculates focus of subject moving toward or away from camera and compensates) and no supplemental flash. ISO is 400. The cross-country shot of the girl running is an excellent example of what Al servo is capable of. She's moving straight toward the camera at about 10 mph and is sharp as a tack. I've shot cross-country skiers going downhill about 20 mph straight at the camera, and those are tack sharp too. Technology — a wonderful thing.

I don't consider these special. They're just stuff that runs in the paper, not award winners. Base hits instead of home runs, if you will. grin.gif

breaks.jpg

tackle.jpg

ready.jpg

puffs.jpg

Whoa. Steve those are super-sharp and the color is perfecto. I will trade you my boat for that lens. Do you use the center AF point only in servo?

PS: did you tell the Ely runner to stay two spots back of the GR runners so you could get the shot?

Look good Steve, the eyes make it for me on #1 and #2. Number #3 is just one of those really good captures that happen when you work hard. Give the AI Servo some contrast and it works like a champ.

If this is a ploy to post some of my shots with the new lens, well it worked.

I'll throw in just a couple from a soccer game the other evening. All shot with the 70-200/f2.8 L, NOT a much maligned sports lens, in fact this was the first game I shot with it. Some shot with the Canon 1.4x II attached.

#1 ISO 400, with 1.4x attatched f4.0@ 1/3200s 280mm

93349074-L.jpg

#2 ISO 400, f2.8 @ 1/2500s 155mm

93349693-L.jpg

#3 Somehow the exif was stripped from this one?

93350707-L.jpg

#4 And a couple with the 100-400L from last week. Not that great of a shot, but you always have to have a goal shot.

ISO 400 f5.6 @ 1/2500s

90848850-L-1.jpg

#5 Same settings as above, you can see the difference in the larger depth of field by looking at the grass. This would have been a keeper shot if not for the car and distracting fence.

90848224-L-1.jpg

#6 Just liked the expression on the goalies face in this one. Missed the shot, he booted it, went about six feet.

90849646-L-1.jpg

The last three shots were shot under a noon sun, harsh light making for tough shooting conditions, white jersey against black, sharp shadows in the faces. The depth of field is what is difficult to deal with, it brings busy backgrounds into play. The first three were shot early evening, much warmer lighting, but shadows are more harsh. The f2.8 gives you the speed and the nice muted, out of focus backgrounds. All shots came from the same field.

I also use some custom in camera parameters that give you the "velva" look, it requires very little post processing. It seems to be the look that people want when buying. I also custom white balance every 30 minutes or so and use that for changing light, though I have found that the AWB works extremely well. I shot JPEG and it is easier to get it right from the camera, less time to spend PP. Swimmer mentioned focus points, I always shoot center point focus only, can be hard to stay with the action, but the last shot of Steve's would be difficult without doing it that way. I am sure he can explain what he used.

I have two games to shoot today and then 8 games in 3 days next week, 4 of them in one night. crazy.gif

Dan, you're right, it was a ploy. You saw right through me! grin.gif

You've shown us some excellent work. I see some very happy clients in your future. I knew you'd love that new combo, and it's easier to let your talent shine when the equipment is fine. grin.gif

I also often post process for that Velvia look, which, for those who don't know, is a fairly high contrast, color saturated Fujichrome color slide film, the film that dominated the nature and sports worlds before digital became the 600 pound gorilla in the room. The football shots are pp'd that way, the cross country shots are not.

Kind words Steve, thanks. These are also cropped to 8 x 10 sizes so that they can be cropped smaller later if needed. They are all just a bit "loose" for my tastes. I now see why virtually every sports shooter has that lens in their bag. Its easy to get good results with glass like this.

Anyone else want to join in and show us some of their work? I know some of you are out there shooting your kids, grandkids, nieces, and nephews events. I know because virtually every game I shoot has at least one or two folks taking photos. Lets see some of your work, this is the photo sharing board! grin.gif

If you are looking to improve the shots you are getting this is a good place to get some help, there are quite a few highly skilled photographers here that can give you some good tips on how to make the most out of your shooting. With all the fall sports in full swing there should be plenty of variety to share.