• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to/How not to paddle Rapids in Canoe

Here are some pics from a canoe trip last summer. The fishing slowed mid day so we decided to do some solo paddling in the rapids. Below is how to do it [Me] and then how not to do it [My buddie Steve].

Care fully chose the best route avaiding rocks

p1010105er3.jpg

Steer canoe through rocks

p1010106ku6.jpg

Move canoe out of fast water

p1010107me7.jpg

Here is how not to do it.

Looks like he is off to a good start

p1010108bz9.jpg

Watch out for that rock!

p1010110tf4.jpg

Don't just watch your paddle float away!

p1010111tn0.jpg

Go get it!

p1010112vv7.jpg

Secure paddle and canoe

p1010113bz4.jpg

My buddie Steve and I have been on many a canoe trips, as you can probably tell he is always in the front. I started bringing an extra paddle along on every trip several years ago.

I was there with those guys, but I wouldn't lower myself to do it in the canoe. I did it in my kayak, I think (memory is a little fuzzy from the debauchery) but no pics were taken. Oh well, I know I'm the best (wonder what big musk has to say about that) cool.gif

From my experience in fishing the BWCA (Basswood, Basswood River & Crooked Lake)and seeing the canoes wrapped around rocks, my advice is to NOT attempt any rapids while on a canoe trip. Easily accessible rivers next to landings are fine since aid can come quickly, but do not try it when alone.

I agree, rapids can be very dangerous. I learned the hardway on an early spring Lake Trout trip.

It was the last day on the way back to lake One after a sucessful trip to Thomas lake. It was a very cold day and we were soaking wet from the rain of the day prior. We looked at the map and figured that we would take a short cut. We had the option of paddling about six miles with several portages or taking shortcut through an area marked on the map "Dangerous Waters". We were cold and wet and just wanted to get back to the car so we decided to take the short cut. Big mistake, it was very dangerous. Ended up being about 12 sets of rapids back to back. We got about half way after a few close calls and got in trouble. There was a straight shoot with a 90 degree turn to the left at a steep rock wall. Went down and got pinned againt the rock wall. We looked up and saw an aluminum canoe smashed in half. Not good. The cold and young age had got the best of my judgement, I was not wearing a life jacket. We tried to push off the rocks and tipped. The water was deep. I had my daypack [containing my wallet, car keys and a small fortunes worth of fishing gear] in one hand and my life jacket in the other. I started going under. So I put on my life jacket and watched the pack sink in a very deep pool. Needless to say this was a very bad situation.

If not for the good folks at Kawishiwi Lodge I may not be telling this story. It was definatly a learning experience.