• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mounting Photos

I am entering a photo contest for the first time and the rules are that "All photographs must be mounted on matte board or foam board no larger than 1/4” thick (not poster board) and without frames". Any help on how I should do this?

You can make a matted, mounted, ready-to-frame print package with mat and foam. You cut the mat to fit in a commercial frame. So if you will want to put it in an 11x14 frame, cut the outer dimensions of the mat to 10 7/8 by 13 7/8. Then cut the inside to size to fit your image. Or you can just buy ready-cut mats from big box stores or photo shops.

You actually hang the print to the mat with a long piece of tape. Don't tape around the sides and bottom, because as things shrink and swell it'll buckle the print and create waves in it.

Once that's done, you cut a piece of foam board the same size as the outer dimensions of the mat. Then take spray adhesive designed for photos and spray the outer couple inches of the foam board, where it will adhere to the mat. Then put the two together and press.

In order to keep things clean and pure, it's best to wear light cotton gloves while doing all this. If you don't, you should at least be sure to wash your hands thoroughly to avoid getting skin oils and dirt on the print or mat. If you mark up the mat a bit by accident, a good pencil eraser should clean it up OK. You also want a perfectly clean working surface, because nothing seems to pick up dirt or animal hair or grit more than the mounting or framing processes.

You sure don't really have to mount them in a size that makes them ready to frame, but if you're making an enlargement and it's a standard size (not a funky crop) and you're going to the trouble of mounting it in the first place, you might as well mount it ready to drop into a frame later.

Thanks,

I will get to work on it. By the way, I love your photos, I really like the flowers and the Little Indian Sioux River shot. Great stuff. I just started shooting digital and I recently bought a Cannon Digital Rebel. The camera is great and I still have a lot to learn.

Roy,

Steve is right on--you need to mount your photo directly to the foam board. If you go to Blick's or Michaels you will get the foamboard for a whopping $2.00 a sheet (3ft by 4ft). The spray you need is called *photo mount. It will not harm your photo. You simply spray a light coating on the foam board and then place the photo right on top of the sprayed board. The trick to it is to turn the pic ove and rub it out. To do this you need a very soft, and very clean, cotton cloth. Once you place the photo on to the board, then start at one corner immediately with the cotton cloth and press down squeegeing out the air pockets and pressing the photo down to the board. Then go from the middle out, unitl the photo is firmly down against the board. Make sure that the glue does not extend past the edge of the photo or it will get on your cloth and then you'll rub the glue across the top of photo. This isn't hard--just make sure that the foam board is cut to the exact size of the print before spraying and applying the print. I have been selling my prints for years and have used this exact technique for every mounted and matted print I have ever sold. I am in the process of doing 26 of them this week, as I have a huge portrait order.

It's not that difficult of a process, but it will definitely give you a very professional looking entry if done properly. Good luck with your contest, and please, post some photos. I'd love to see the one your entering in the competition.

I just noticed you are in Woodbury--If you have any problems with this, you can give me a call at 952-466-DUCK

I'd be happy to walk you through the process. If your not opposed to the drive to cologne (about 45 minutes) I would help you do it as I have all of that here, including the mat cutter which you'll need for smooth sharp edges on the foamboard.

Tom, I'm with you on almost everything you said. However, a mat cutter isn't needed to make sharp edges on foam board. A very sharp blade from a carpet knife does the job when used carefully with the help of a straight edge. We have a mat cutter, which my wife uses with great dexterity, but I cut the foam board backing and do all the assembly, and I've never used a mat cutter to get those edges. Certainly, care must be taken, because it's easy to tear the foam board if the blade is a little dull or the cutter moves too quickly. Good thing is, foam board is so cheap that a little trial and error is no big deal.

Big Roy,

Give "hemlock" a shout over on the Canadian side.

He is a master and has all the answers to your framing needs.

Hemlock and his fine staff have a awesome frame shop up in Kenora Ont.

He is a very helpful young man and he will guide you in the right direction.

Holaey