• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 polaris 500 sportsman

walleyeaddict

If the battery is not turning over the engine replace the battery. Pulling the on the pull start with a completly dead battery will usually not provide enough spark to start the engine. If the battery is OK then check for spark. Either use a spark tester that you can pick up for about five bucks and clips onto the plug wire. Or take out the plug(If the plug is wet with gas from cranking the engine, chances are you have an ignition problem.) and lay it up to the engine (holding on to the plug barehanded can be a little hairaising.) and turn the engine over while looking at the plug gap for spark. If you have spark but not starting your probably not getting enough or any fuel (Check the fuel selector switch, put it on reserve and check the tank for fuel.)

Sorry to be so simplistic about this, but from your post it is really hard to tell what is going on. Would really like to hear from you about wether the engine cranks, sparks and the fuel system.

Tim

hey thxs for the reply. I does turn over very strongly! I will check the plugs in th a.m. Also I have plenty of fuel. It worked great the last time we used it! I can crank and crank on it and I am not smelling fuel..even when choked!!! Your help is appreciated more then u know.

If it worked just recently, I would check the obvious stuff first. Make sure the fuel switch is turned on and then check for spark. I'm guessing it's just something simple. I know I have to give my Sportsmans a quick lookover whenever my kids get done playing on it. They always like to check to make sure every button and switch works.... smile.gif

Also make sure the kill switchis on. I never use mine and every once in a while sombody will turn it off on my machine just to get a lautgh at the look on my face when my machine dosen't fire up right away.

Sorry guys been busy fishin! Finally got her fixed yesterday...the reserve valve is shot filled it up with gas and ready for another 2600 miles.....She has been a tough old bird think I will have to drive her till she dies but I do have my eye on a 07 500 sportsman with the backrest and added storage. Gonna pick up the new valve monday.