• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How old for a training collar

LovenLifeGuy

I think I have read other posts on this but what is a good age? Whats too early? I have heard that you should getem started with the shock collar early. I know all dogs are different, just woundering what others feel is the right age? Thanks

LovenLifeGuy

E-collars should only be used to reinforce learned commands. Until you are sure that your dog understands what is expected from him I wouln't use a collar. If that doesn't happen until he's 2 then thats the right age, if it happens at 9 months then thats the right age. A collar used correctly will be an invaluable training tool.

Collar conditioning usually starts around the time or shortly there after the force fetch. You need to condition the dog to the collar. Slapping the collar on and then start burning them is going to put your dog in a bad way. Most collars that you buy these days will come with an education packet that will explain how to condition the dog to the collar.

Setterguy is correct in saying that the collar is to reinforce trained response NOT to teach what is expected.

GOOD LUCK

I feel I have a good understanding on when/why to use the collar, I just thought maybe others would give an idea of when they started. I think im going to wait a bit. I plan on starting the force fetch training in early september. He is doing well.

Thanks, LovenLifeGuy

Force Fetch usually takes place around the 6 month of age period so long as the teeth have fallen out. This is a good time to start the collar conditioning after the force is done.

I hope that helps.

GOOD LUCK!!