• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lab neck pain question

barbnd

My chocolate lab is 8 months old and has had a neck pain since she was little - it is getting worse and the vets don't know what it is... when they manipulate the neck when she is sedated it moves slightly (in a position where it shouldn't move at all) and there is a grinding feeling to it. They suggest going down to the U of M to find out what it is for sure. Her pain is right behind the skull on the top of her neck and when her head is moved up and back, it hurts her. She will be just running along and yelp suddenly and hold her head carefully out in a straight line with her back. I am going to go to another vet here for a second opinion, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of such a thing?

Never heard of it... but I've found over the years that dogs are like people, and every now and then, one contracts the odd malody. I hope it doesn't turn out to be as serious as it sounds... I'd get to the UofM asap and confirm what it is, and if there is a course of action that can be taken. Hope all turns out well... let us know the outcome.

Good Luck!

Ken

The vet took x-rays and they were inconclusive - he is sending them to the U of M along with a report of his findings to see if they can see anything that he couldn't... they have radiologists and he isn't a radiologist, but a general practitioner vet. Hopefully they will be able to see something from the x-rays that can be fixed easily! If not, I will make the trip to the U of M if they need to do more tests.

I wouldn't hesitate to get to the U vets. Those people are simply out of this world and no general vet anywhere can match their ability on an out of the ordinary thing.