• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

finally got my pictures up

hey guys heres a couple pictures from a greatday of shooting "fish in a barrel". these piggies were swimming up and down a drainage ditch that flows out of lake artichoke in western minnesota, about a week before memorial day if i recall. pretty easy pickings. some or all of us pictured hammered this ditch for four days straight; this day we happened to remember a dang camera. over all i think we shot almost 200 fish.

250pluspoundsofcarpandbuffalo.jpg

lukesfirstcarpwithabow33lbs.jpg

fiverednecksandthefruitsofouraccura.jpg

this shoot took place literally as the females were dumping eggs. it was absolute perfect timing to shoot some of the biggest fish we've ever encountered. i honed my teeth on chasing fish up and down drainage ditches that connect to the chippewa river and minnesota rivers, but those small fish cant hold a spoon to the big piggies that swim out of the shallow carp infested lakes of western minnesota.

Carpshooter, we're on a lake near New London and the piggies were thick in there this spring, too! Unfortunately, I didn't have a bow yet, so I had to settle for a long spear, but we got some. They are in severe danger next spring grin.gif

enhanced4lc.jpg

I notice a lot of those fish are not carp - what's the percentage of carp to buffalo in that area? I'm putting together a buffalo flyfishing trip. What's the water clarity like?

Congrats on shooting a bunch of carp!

these fish were all swimming out of lake artichoke in western minnesota; i wouldn't know the ratio of carp to buffalo, but would have to guess that the dnr info for the lake would give some insight from the netting data. the lake itself is generally shallow and windswept but i would have to imagine that flyfishing could be accomplished with surface baits. we see carp jumping all summer during fishing expeditions for walleye and crappie.

day before that shoot we didnt get any buffalo, but on that particular day i would say we shot 5:1 carp to buffalo. next weekend im heading back up to that area; have a feeling that with the low water levels that i might know of a few spots where the fish could be trapped now....that could be a blast!