• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

extra vegatbles

heavyduty

This is my first year with a garden and not knowing what to expext for a harvest I planted extra green pepper/ hot pepper and tomato plants and it looks like I'm going to have plenty of extra of every thing was wondering what others do to enjoy these though out the year salsa, sauce, etc. and is there a way to pickle or preserve the hot peppers to use later in the year. thanks for any advice.

p.s. will try to post this also in recipes,

You can as you stated make salsa or can tomatoes for chili and I also use the canned tomatoes to use with making a venison roast.The green peppers can be frozen and used all year.I have never dehydrated the peppers but I believe you could also dry them.Your option of course would be to ship them all to me. smile.gif

We can tomatoes, pickles, and make salsa. We even make homemade tomatoe soup. yum..

Any extra jalepeno's get tossed in the same brine we make up for the picklez and canned (we leave out the dill though). They are awesome over the winter.

We also pickle any left over green beens.

Get creative with your canning & pickling.

One thing I did last year (I will do a bunch this year) is when we pickled cucumbers I always make a few hot (crushed red pepper) on one jar I added a teaspoon of horseraddish. It was awesome.

I have a jar of dried chili peppers that's now 4 years old. I use them to spice up soups stews and chili. I even put some in my beef jerky marinade...

You also can dehydrate the tomatoes and put them in soups and stews also.