• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pine Beetles

Checking to see if any of you folks can give us the story on these Pine Beetles, from what I hear, Colorado is having a big problem with them this year and a few of areas are getting logged off. Checked in with a friend in Walden and he said it's pretty bad up there.

Mike

Mike,

The pine beetle's infected pine trees here in Colorado four years ago and it took that long for the beetles to kill the tree's they infected. I've sprayed over three hundred trees the last four years and still lost 70 to the beetles. My cabin is located on Lake Granby and it is really sad to see how many pine trees have been lost to the beetles. Every where you look there are entire sections of forest devistated by the beetles. I talked to a forester and he said we would need at least a week of temperatures below zero during the winter to kill them. Unfortunatly we haven't had those low temps for extended periods.

If it keeps up like it is I'll probably loose most of the 300 pine trees on my property, despite spending a fortune to spray. Plus, with all the dead timber I cringe everytime there are lighting storms in the area.

Mark