• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swelling Around Eyes?

Mr. B

Guys I am curious if I am missing anything. Maggie my 4 year old lab has been bitten (I think) my sometype of insect twice in the last couple weeks.

After my wife took her out this morning I noticed underneith her right eye was all swollen. When this happened before we called the vet and they said to give her 50 millegrams of Benadryl. After the Benadryl the swelling goes away.

Other than the swelling I see nothing else wrong. Still eating, drinking and playing it just looks like she went a few rounds in the ring.

Could this be something else besides an insect bite? Anything else that I should watch for? Any information would be great. Last time it happened I could keep an eye on her, now sitting here at work makes it tough.

Those darn deer flys get my dog around the eyes and they swell up. The swelling doesn't seem to last that long though, but right after he gets bit it does look like it would be uncomfortable.

"hooks"

We were out this weekend with some nasty horse/deer flies. Our male lab must have been bit or possibly stung (he never yelped so I am not sure). With in a couple minutes he was swelling like a marshmellow in the micro wave. His whole face was swollen. Gave him Benedryl and that helped but it took a day for it to go down.

Here are a normal Oscar pic and swollen Oscar pic.

normaloscar4va.jpg

swollenoscar6ek.jpg

Benadryl is the answer. Depending on the severity it may take longer for the pooch to recover. Last time my gal got into a nest of ground wasps it wasnearly 3 days before the puking/[PoorWordUsage]ing stopped and the swelling went down. Just be sure they stay hydrated if this ever occurs. Seeing those pics makes me cringe just remembering those wasps attacking my girl and me being able to do nothing as she swelled up right in front of my eyes frown.gif

My Setter had a similar swelling last fall after a 3 day grouse hunt. The swelling wasn't bad for the first day back, but the second it looked like it was going to pop her eyeball out. I had to bring her to the emergency vet ($$$$). We found out that she was pierced by a small stick or reed in her mouth which got lodged behind her eye. The vet went in and removed the particle and drained the infection. She was back to 100% several hours later.

I will never second guess myself about going to the vet again!! I would have saved myself about $500 and saved my dog a whole day of pain.