• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Huge Moth

What kinda moth are we dealing with here? Its about 3/4 as wide as the brick in the background and just as tall. It was massive. I'd say it was 2.5" tall by 5" wide. Largest I've seen. Larger than several species of birds.

Also notice the little yellow egg-like sacks below it. What are those?

moth1.jpg

moth2.jpg

moth3.jpg

It didn't seem to mind be getting about 15 inches from it to take that last picture.

Tyler,

I think what you've got is a female imperial moth. After Googling and looking at some internet photos, the little yellow globes are eggs. The female is much larger than the male. The larvae are usually light green but can be tan to dark brown. They feed on oak, maple, pine, sycamore, Sweet Gum and sassafrass. Apparently they don't eat bricks. wink.gif There is one brood per year. Very nice pic!