• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

english pointer questions

korn_fish

Im looking at getting another bird dog as my lab is turning 14 and hasnt been able to hunt for the past few years. I have hunted over labs, Brittany, GSP's, Wiemaraner, and english spaniels. One breed that I have been interested in but have not had a chance to hunt over an english pointer. I don't see many breeders in the midwest for them and was wondering why. I see a lot of GSP breeders, but not english pointers.

English pointers are very common down south.They use them alot for hunting quail on horseback.

I bought a english pup in 1989 and had it trained.I hunted with it and also ran it in some field trials and we did very well.I think one of the reasons you dont see many of them in the north is because of thier short coat.Winters can be very tough on them.I always had a heated kennel for mine.

As far as how good the breed can be,they are a awesome.I think it goes without saying that thier nose is the best in the business and they will honor anothers point very well.The only problem I ever had with mine was him getting out to far in front of me while hunting and he was broke of that.Not because he was mine,but in 35 years of bird hunting,I have never hunted behind a better dog than a english pointer.Straight out,they are a awesome hunting dog. smile.gif

He never was a great family dog but then that is not why I had him.He was very high strung,but as a hunter you could not have asked for more.

There are people around who have EP's. I have seen quite a few at local field trials. They are a very hard driving dog with a great nose. I havent hunted over one, nor have I ever seen one around a family.

If you want to see pointers run you should go to a cover dog field trial. The trial is run in the woods up north on wild grouse and woodcock and is a walking trial. Generally only pointers and setters run in these trials. There will be cover dog trials this fall up north and next spring. These pointers will not be quite as rangy as the horseback all-age pointers down south but rest assured they will get out there quite a ways. I'd also go to Game Fair in August. There's usually a couple pointer breeders set up on the way in or actually in the Fair itself. Matt Eder of Fox Run Kennels was there last year and he'd be a great person to talk to about pointers. Also if you do a google search for "cover dog field trial message board" you'll get the link to that board. Sign up and ask about contacts for pointers in MN and you will get some help from the folks there too.

gpsman