• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

training books

Austin

I am curious, what are some good training books. I want to use it for German Shorthair used mainly for upland bird hunting.

I am really willing to work with the pup as much as I can.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks

Austin-

I just bought "Game Dog" by Richard Wolter and it seems to be a sound training method w/ proven results. It gives week by week lesson plans, we're gonna try it w/ our 11 week old lab. Good luck w/ your pup!

redhooks

I would recommend going to your public library and reading as many birddog training books as you can. While you are at the library check out the dog training videos too. After you get through all that pick the one you liked the best that you think will work with the resources you have available to you.

Another option...

I've just finished watching a new dog training dvd produced by Perfection Kennels. It's called The Perfect Start and it does an outstanding job of showing the viewer how to get their pointing dog started down the right path. The nice thing about the video is that they use dogs that haven't been through the training regimen before so you can see that things don't always go right the first time and, in fact may take several training sessions to go right. They feature gsp's, pointers, e setters, and a gordon setter in this video. You'll see a pointer that is so timid it lays down in the training field with it's tail tucked under it and it ignores the bird. You'd think the dog would be a washout. But after a few sessions the dog is chasing the bird and all excited about it. It's the best training video I've seen for young pointing dogs and I've watched quite a few. It costs around $65 for the dvd and is money well spent. I think they have it available in video tape for less too.

Good luck and have fun with that pup.

gspman

My future father-in-law is an accomplished springer breeder as well as field trial competitor and certified judge. He recently started working with labs and just told me to avoid Wolters book like the plague? He thinks it's a shortcut that can cause problems further down the road. I guess I'm going to have to take his advice since he gave us our puppy and is going to help us train but am a little confused.

He suggested "Back to Basics" by Robert Milner and "Retrievers for Marshes & Meadows" by James B. Spencer. I'm going to look into the other books but would be interested in feedback from anyone who has read/used any of the books mentioned. I was looking online and found some info mentioning a book called "10 minute retriever" as well. I might have to go to the library and check out some books and videos.

redhooks

10 minute retriever is a great book, I own this one as well as Wolters' game dog. Both have useful information, I would read more than one book and piece together a training system that works for you and your dog.

All,

Let's remember this guy has a German Shorthaired Pointer. It's not a flusher. He needs recommendations on books for training pointing dogs. In certain areas of training there is a world of difference in the training of a pointer vs. flusher. Let's try to recommend pointing dog training books. Thanks.

gspman

I am not sure what sort of problem your future father in law has with Richard Wolters books. My first lab was in 1980 and I knew nothing about training dogs. I purchased a copy of Wolter's Water Dog to use. I am on the third generation from my first lab and everything Wolter's has said has worked for me. I have run NAHRA trials in the old days but now just love the work my dog does and the results we get. He may not always run a perfect line but he will not give up or lose a bird. I would be interested in what type of trouble/problems have been encountered by your future dad in law. I must put in an endorse for Wolter's even though I know there are other good sources out there as well.

Another great book is the "Green Book" on the care & training of a versatile hunting dog. From the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association (NAVHDA). We can't post links so if you look them up on the web they have an online store to purchase the book from their HSOforum.

What part of the state are you from? The local metro chapter of NAVHDA also has some great training nights going on right now with a bunch of great guys that can help you out also.

Good luck with your Pup!

Chris