• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Are gills affected by mayflies?

CALVINIST

I was up at Upper South Long just south of Garrison last weekend and was absolutely amazed at how the pannies were gobbling up the mayflies on the surface. However, this did not hinder my fishing experience as they were still quite hungry throughout the day. What amazed me the most was that I was trying to target bass with slip bobber and a leach, and to my amazement found this to be the best way to weed out the large gills from the small ones. Caught 7 BIG gills and fed three people. UNBELIEVABLE action!!! Good luck and try a leach.

This is a great, and very interesting question!

The reason I feel that 'gills aren't affected much by the mayflies is that the 'flies are hot for the last 30 mins. of light, and then into the dark hours. Sunnies will feed heavily on them for that last 30 mins. of light, but quit popping the top when the light dissapates.

Some hungry 'gills will hit after dark, I've had some great bites in the middle of the night, but most won't feed much after hours. These are the one's that are deadly hungry during the day!

You should be fine!