• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

kurt paulsen

kurt i would like to try and make some of the rough fish that i catch, but can't find many ways of makeing them. i never new you could eat gar but im going to try it as soon as i catch one again this year. can you if you have any other recipies share them?. thanks in advance if that is possible for you to do.

ps. ive heard of pan frying carp but have only ever had it smoked is this possible?.

i like bullhead, sucker, catfish, and i have had almost all smoked at one time. i just never thought of pan frying a carp though. my best in pick of a rough fish for eating i would have to say is sucker ground up into patties, with a little lemon pepper, garlic salt, and a little corn starch. then roll in crushed corn flakes fry till golden brown.

Quote:

i like bullhead, sucker,
catfish
, and i have had almost all smoked at one time. i just never thought of pan frying a carp though. my best in pick of a rough fish for eating i would have to say is sucker ground up into patties, with a little lemon pepper, garlic salt, and a little corn starch. then roll in crushed corn flakes fry till golden brown.

Careful, a catfish is not a roughfish! blush.gif

That is true. Catfish are one of the most farmed fish in america! Check out the recipes foru here if you are looking for recipes. There are lots of great ones. I am not sure if this question should really be answered here, though. I think I will post a reply in the Recipe's thread lower down on the list so things stay better organized. Look for it there.

Bullheads can be good. Not as good as a nice pan-fried channel cat fillet, but darn tasty nonetheless.

I have had some decent carp before. I cleaned and filleted it like any other fish, then cut the fillets into smaller chunks and scored the chunks with a fillet knife. Then I bathed them in egg and dredged them in seasoned corn flour, and deep fried them in oil. It was okay... certainly not walleye or channel cat, but passable and not as bad as you would think carp would be. Carp do have some pretty big bones, so watch out for that.

Ben

Forgot to mention- My grandma used to make carp patties, and also bluegill patties. We would dress the fish (skin and gut, and take off the head and fins), and she boiled the fish until the meat pulled off the bones. The she mixed it in with crushed corn or rice chex, and made patties out of the mixture. It's a good way to make a meal out of a bunch of bite-size bluegills...

Ben

I eat burbot, freshwater drum, white sucker, all the different redhorses, lake whitefish, and cisco. They are all delicious. The suckers I grind up and make crabcakes because they are too bony to eat as fillets. Drum is good fried or baked, they are firm-fleshed. You fillet them just like a giant crappie. Burbot are skinned and boiled. Whitefish you do anything you want with, they're the best eating fish in the state. Cisco are smoked. I'm planning on making Winnipeg Smoked Goldeye or Mooneye this summer. Would like to try a gar. Carp I have not had any good experiences with. Need to try white bass.

If you need any goldeye I can probably help you out. I have heard that freezing a fish for awhile before smoking it actually helps the process by removing some of the water. Well, I could certainly freeze you some goldeye! I have two in the chest in my basement right now! I also would really like to try white bass... now i just need to find them somewhere.... I have seen many Hmong families take them home... I should just ask them how they cook them sometime.

Wanted a fish fry one night in the early spring and caught 2 walleyes and a pile of white bass and decided to keep some of the whitties because the walleye action was slow. We prepared all fillets (2 eyes and several white bass) in Gary Roach Cajun Style beer batter and could barely tell the difference between them. It was an excellent meal.

I'd certainly keep white bass again if I needed to do so for an immediate fish fry. Maybe not mid summer thou.

Well, if you want to come to the Mankato area, I am pretty sure you can find them in any slack water up stream of seven mile creek. I have done very well around sibley park and land of memories park. Just remember that you are going to have trouble hooking them because they have a bony jaw. They always short bite my minnow, so I now hook the minnow right through the middle of the belly and suspend it about a foot and a half below a bobber. Toss it 20 feet out and let it drift in the current...