• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon Digital Camera's

Interesting, I had heard somewhere that only 10-12% of people were on dial up these days, I imagine business' have something to do with that small number. I don't really doubt that screen size statement.

Weren't most of the images on your site shot in jpeg? or were some done in Raw? Just curious.

I shot jpeg's at the first three horse shows I photographed three years ago to save card space--I haven't shot a jpeg since then, and I have no intentions of doing so. Why would a person limit theirself to the jpeg format??? All of the HSOforum photos are saved as jpegs,, for universal viewing, but that is all, and it is the last step after processing is complete.

Tom W

Quote:

Why would a person limit theirself to the jpeg format???

I'm guessing to save time in post processing, especially for everyday pictures. I assume you already know the answers to your rhetorical question however right? Shooting RAW means you have to do more post processing than usual. This might be alright with you, but for shots that I don't plan on making huge printouts with, I just shoot jpeg. Whether you use RAW or JPEG, I always use the highest quality setting in Jpeg and I prefer RAW for 'important' pics like portraits, scenes with a wide dynamic range or scenes with a tricky white balance. But, for 80% of my shots I just shoot JPEG.

I read many places that if you are post processing RAW images that you should be using a monitor calibrator (this subject actually came up yesterday) Whats your take on this?

I actually have a color management program that came with my NVIDIA 6600GT 3D Graphics system in the new computer. So far it has worked well, and I have it dialed in to almost near perfect. I have considered the Spyder PRO, or the Monaco PRO color management systems as well. If I buy a new printer this year, I will buy one of those systems.