• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

First post new camera

nvr:

I think Buzz, a Nikon shooter, is pulling your leg a little, joshing you because you have a Canon and the image is a little fuzzy.

It looks like the sharpest focus is actually a bit behind the squirrel, and that's not as sharply focused as the camera is capable of. But as you said, it takes quite awhile to get used to new gear, and the camera you have is an excellent point-and-shoot. Once you get it down, you'll be taking sharp images all over the place! grin.gif Even with IS, a handheld P&S at max zoom is tough to hold still. It helps if the iso is set no lower than 400, which will make your shutter speed faster and eliminate some of that blur caused by hand/animal movement.

And this image, while not as sharp as it might be, is nicely composed, which tells me you have a good eye. So keep working on it and keep showing us what you've got. And I thank you for sharing it.

Quote:

I think Buzz, a Nikon shooter, is pulling your leg a little, joshing you because you have a Canon and the image is a little fuzzy.

Catfish knows me and he pegged it right on. I'm a Nikon D200 shooter and am currently taking a sabatical from posting pictures as I think it's good for some "new blood" to step up. I will say what I've taken and not posted over the last month or so has been pretty good with the 80-400mm VR and the D200 combo, a ton of migrating duck shots (Woodies, Blue winged Teal, Northern Shovellers, Bufflehead, Redheads, Canvasbacks etc) Mink, muskrats in flooded Minnesota River backwaters at eye level from a few feet away, Hawks, Yellow Rumped Warblers and so on and so on... those CF cards fill up fast at 10 mega pixels each. Anyways, I hope your enjoying your new camera, I sure am. grin.gif

Buz, if you would not mind I would like some nice shots of some woodies! They were the favorite ducks that my dad and I always liked to hunt. If you could email them to me at james.p.schmitz at bt.com I sure would appreciate it! Thanks././Jimbo

Quote:

I'm a Nikon D200 shooter and am currently taking a sabatical from posting pictures as I think it's good for some "new blood" to step up.

Buzz: No need to step back for new blood. New blood, old blood, it's all in the FM family. And you know darn well it matters not at all what brand camera is in use. That new Nikon D200 is a great body. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Minolta, whatever. With the advances in digital photography, it's far less about the equipment than the eye of the photographer.

So put 'em up here and let 'er rip! grin.gif

I will post them, part of the problem also is that afreeimagehost went down and I have to go to another host and upload all of my pictures.... time consuming.

Duckslayer, I'll forward you a bunch of pics... do you have high speed internet? These are big files, however I can always downsize them.

Will do, I have a great spot in Lakeville where I can drive five minutes from my house and the small lake has held as many as twenty pairs of woodies at one time, it seems like it's down to about ten or so pairs now however. I introduced Hobbydog to it last weekend and think he may have gotten a few decent pics... they are kinda spooky wild birds so your odds are better if you dress in camo and don't move around much. It's also a location I can get to quickly from my work so my lunches are spent their as well. I would like to show Tom Wilson this spot as well as I know he'd enjoy the close proximity of these wood duck shots. (thats a shout out to T. Dub) grin.gif