• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Welcome Kurt Paulsen!

I would like to welcome Kurt Paulsen as our newest addition to the HSO/FM team!

Kurt has put a lot of time in along the banks of the Minnesota, Mississippi, and St. Croix rivers chasing "roughfish" of all species.

Kurt also has an extensive background in photography, so I would expect to see some cool shots of various roughfish as Kurt embarks on his future fishing trips smile.gif

Kurt will also be helping out with producing some of the HSO shows, and I'm sure they'll be a show dedicated to roughfish in the future as well wink.gif

So, welcome aboard Kurt! I'm looking forward to reading more your posts and reports in the future!

Thanks for all the hospitality! Matt makes me out to be a better fisherman than I actually am... I try for rough fish because they interest me (and they are sometimes easier for me to catch! wink.gif). I will try and post some pics of stuff as often as I can. If anybody has any video/photo technical questions I can probably help out too... My daytime life is spent as a college video production instructor...

That is a SWEET longnose btw! I only catch shortnose around here, but they are all cool in my opinion. Tasty too! Gut 'em, stuff 'em with garlic and onions, grill 'em whole with the skin on and you will not be disappointed!

I'm looking forward to lots of great discussions!

OK, so I bought this underwater color video camera with a long video-in cable, and a top of the line digital Mini-DV camcorder. I also bought a telescoping octagonal aluminum heavy-duty net handle with a yoke to support the camera. I bought all this to record underwater footage of spawning redhorse in the riffles of the root river. The telescoping handle with detatchable yoke extends to eight feet, allowing the camera to be poked ahead of you or just propped on the river bottom while the spawning action is filmed remotely using the Mini-DV camera. Trouble is, the underwater camera has a regular video jack, and the mini-DV camcorder has some kind of round, small, analog video-in jack and the two are not compatible. I've heard I can buy a suitible adapter at Radio Shack but I'm not sure if this is true. Any advice on adapting the two together? I've spent too much to buy a new camera or camcorder. Also, any video advice for filming in shallow riffles in bright sun?

Also, kudos on the shortnose. I have not yet mastered that species and if you can point me in the direction of the shortnose I could point you in the direction of the longnose, or most other species. Also, I have never eaten a gar and am much impressed by your culinary appreciation of those fish. Now that I have heard how you do it, I will have to try eating a longnose this summer.

Thanks for the questions! I love to answer 'em! First off. The cord you probably need is a tri-cord. It will be your video and audio L&R. So it would have a yellow, white and red regular RCA style plugs on one end and a mini-plug on the other. The mini plug looks like a normal headphone plug, but with an extra black line on it. I am surprised your camera didn't come with this cord. If it didn't you should be able to buy one at Radio shack. What is the brand and model of the camera? I can look more specifically into if you want.

As for taping under water, remember to always keep the sun at your back as much as possible. This will allow the most light to be bounced off the fish and back the camera instead of silhouettes against the light.

If you try gar, try a small one to start with. Grill it well. I also usually squirt some soy sauce in the belly cavity to add some saltiness. These taste very good if you are not expecting flaky walleye. The texture is more like pork loin than fish!