• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moostified traffic stopper!

Just caught this scene on the way home from Babbitt earlier today.

Canon 20D, Canon 100-400L image stabilizer (handheld) at various magnifications, iso400, f8, various shutter speeds.

moose-traffic.jpg

And now a three-image series . . .

Loves me

loves-me.jpg

Loves me not

loves-me-not.jpg

Wants to eat me for dinner. Yikes! blush.gif

wants-to-eat-me.jpg

One of the passers-by who'd stopped to watch said the moose had been hanging around for a few days in that spot, even standing in the middle of the road and not moving when cars would pull right up to it and honk their horns.

That told me this was a stressed animal, and as soon as I heard that I stopped shooting and started pressuring the animal into the wood. Aside from the fact that I got a lot of shots of the moose among the pine trunks as it moved away, it just seemed like the right thing to get the animal moving away from the road. In car v moose, both lose. By the time I was done pushing the moose, it was 300 yards into the woods and continuing to trot away from the road. I hope it stays that way.

Because of that, I was not the most popular person when I got back to the row of parked cars. I even got flipped off by one guy, but he got in his car really fast when I started walking toward him. Tough shnit. Better an expired spectacle with a live moose and live spectators than a dead moose, crumpled car and dead motorists.

She looks really thin..you did the right thing

no matter what anyone says. I have never been

this near a moose other than in a zoo. Awesome

shots.. I love that wild eyed look in the second

picture. I lived near Shagawa river in Winton

that is the closest I ever got to a wild moose.

It was rutting season so we got off the river fast. *smile

Stormy, pretty sure it was a yearling boy. Got a pretty good look when he was trotting away, if you know what I mean. I got a couple images of him swinging, but if I posted one here, as a mod I'd have to delete my own post due to questionable taste. How embarrassing that would be. blush.gif