• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I was out this morning for a couple of hours at a local pond and just happened upon this mink running the shoreline looking for open water........things are fast shocked.gif....was really tough to get a good shot of this little guy even though he got quite close to me....at one point he slowed down after seeing me and started stalking me not sure what i was....lol!...jonny grin.gif

mink1.jpg

DSCF0264-1.jpg

no cropping of the photo Steve...I kinda blew it on the photo...not being ready ,trying to get the settings correct as the mink was running at a good clip toward me...should I use zoom....no zoom.......manual focus or auto focus....use"S"mode(shutter priority for moving objects)trying to "second guess" what this mink was going to do........I'm just lucky I got what I did shocked.gif ....even then I never achieved a super sharp image....i swear that mink ran a half mile in 5 minutes along the lake shore..... Here's a crop of the photo.......I had the camera set at "5" megs.shoulda had it at "9"..to late know smirk.gif........grin.gifjonny

mink44.jpg

I feel for you bubba, you know I do. Adjusting on the fly is tough to do. I never shoot an image at less than the full resolution the camera is capable of. I know the buffer fills quickly at highest resolution, and it eats memory on the memory cards, but a person never knows when they'll have to crop or when someone will want a truly large fine art print, so I never take the chance. I simply assume that any frame I capture may be the frame of a lifetime, like Brandenburg's "Brother Wolf" image.

Don't know how big your cards are, nor how many of the largest images your buffer will handle before it has to write to the card. And CF cards have come WAY down in price.

Anyway, it's all good. You've got some nice shots there, and you always show really fine work on the forum. Hope my "good" advice doesn't strike a sour note sir! blush.gif

Thanks Steve for the "kudos"......I switched the meg setting down to "5" and really should have left it to the highest at"9"...I have (2) "128 meg" cards but will be getting "1 gig" shortly...gotta deal on em on hsolist for about 40 bucks...you certainly are right and one never knows when that "special" photo will be in front of you...at 9 megs and the camera set to "fine",I get 28 pics ........... off a 128 meg card,set to "9 normal",I can get 56 pics.......at the current setting of the mink(5 megs)I get 102 pics....i better get my butt in gear and get that card shocked.gif.......... grin.gifjonny

You will LOVE that 1 Gb card. I have a 2 Gb and two 1 Gb cards. When I was on that wolf/eagle shoot a few weeks back, I had to come home once that weekend and dump cards onto my computer so I could go back and shoot some more. Shooting RAW really eats up those cards.

I really like the color...makes the ice look cold. The only thing I see wrong is the hard shadow on the mink which should be fairly easy to pull out in PS....If I get time maybe take a poke at it.

I saw one along the Crow River this morning too - I looked, looked again, then the 3rd time I realized what the heck it was. He was doing about 60mph across the road and into hte field. laugh.gif