• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Ultra Lite Reel

dwag70

Been looking to add a new U/l reel

any one got a suggestion ?

I figure Matt and Crappie Tom might have a few

I have been looking at Tica and Okuma Avengers ?

any one got a review or opinion

But any opinion would be great

There looks to be some great reels in 20-40 dollar range

dwag70

I personally have used many different ul fishing reels.I own 11 ice rods and all but 3 of these rods have Tica reels on them.

Of those 8 reels by Tica,4 of those are SB500 reels and the other three are I believe GV500.Not a one of these reels have ever given myself any type of problem and im not very attentive to my cleaning of any of them.The difference in these reels with bearings are the Lf-3,GV-5,SB-7,so the more bearing,the higher the price and smoother the reel.

Thier drag system is very,very good and they also fit my rods very well.I would give all of these reels a perfect score.They are simply a super reel.

I do own some Okuma spinning reel(exipor-inspira) and also think they are a pretty good reel.They are all on my summer spinning rods.I dont know if they are of the quality of some of the more spendy reels but I have had no problems to date.With Okuma you do get a reel with a large amount of bearings for a fair price.

To sum this up,I use the Ticas for hardwater and the Okumas for summer fishing.I have never been unhappy with either for quality or performance.I just like how the Ticas fit my ice rods and balance and the Okumas are the same on the other rods.

I second Harvey's suggestion on the Ticas. I have Tica Cetus GV500 on my st. croix rods. I love the balance they give. The drags work flawlessly. I have never had a problem with the bearings, and they perform in the cold. They've been out in -15 plus temps and still turned smooth. I'll be honest and note that I don't maintain my reels as often as I should crazy.gif

You'll be happy with any of the Tica Cetus series.

Most of my ice rods have Tica's on them as well. And if it's not a Tics it's a Shimano. That's pretty much standard for me all year. Most of my walleye and bass reels (for open water rods) are Shimano.

I've been very pleased with the Tica Cetus series. The Libra series for larger gamefish are nice as well, but I prefer Shimano when targeting larger gamefish. Why? I guess it's mostly because I've never had many problems with the Shimano reels, and they perform exceptionally well. They haven't let me down yet...

I would have to throw in the Shimano Sedona, Sahara, or Symetre in the 750 size. They are slightly larger than the Ticas, but not so large that they will throw off the feel of a UL rod (unless you are talking UL under 5'6") then they might be too big. I would also have to agree with the Abu's. They have really done great things with the new 100U and 300U.

-Tom

I as well like the shamano reels that were mentioned but use primarily for bass and walleye. The Tica are a good choice. I have also found a nice little real I just love for ice fishing and panfish. Its been around for a while and called "tiny"...It is small and has a great little drag.

Well I just got a Tica Cetus SB500

Just got done loading it up with some 4lb line and put it on a Guide Series 6'6 ultra lite pole ... Now if I can just get the ice off the lake so I can see if it this was worth the money ...

I took it from the posts here that this would be a solid little reel with good drag !!!

I might have to sell it to Matt is I dont like it !!!