• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

hunt tests, field trails, ect

superfish2

I have a 8 month old pointing lab that is coming along nicely. I'm not sure if the field trail thing is for me, but I might want to try it out. Does anyone have a schedule for hunt tests, field trails, ect? And can anyone explain the difference between the hunt test and field trails? the akc, nahra?

I'm not sure if this is for me or not, but this dog seems like she has big potenial. She has huge desire, and learns everything with ease.

I can get you a link for the AKC Field trial & Hunt test schedule. I can e-mail that info to you but I can not place the link on the forum.

With a pointing type Lab you might be better served to go the NAHRA route. I'm not sure how their type of trial goes but I'm pretty sure that the pointing ability your dog is showing will not be of benefit in the AKC Field trials or Hunt test.

Let me know if you would like the schedule.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Pointing labs are not allowed into sanctioned pointing dog events as there is no group that recognizes labs as a pointing breed. I believe there are some clubs that do run pointing lab trials/tests but as far as I know there is no way to put a ch in front of a pedigree...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Duckbuster I got your email and am just going to check it out in a moment.

I am more intrested in running the the akc and navda retriver tests then anything. I am also intrested in running the apla trails specific to pointing labs.

Duckbuster I was able to use that link.

Then I went to the akc site and am confused If I am reading this right a hunt test has established standards and the dogs are judged against those standards. With divisions of junior senior and master.

A field trail is a competition between dogs and/or handlers. With divisions between pros and amateurs and age classes.

Now for my questions.

In a hunt test what are the standards? If I ran my dog in the junior division what does she have to do to earn the junior title. It says just marks, and no blinds. Are there singles, doubles, triples? What distances are we talking? Are there water, or reentry marks?

In a field trial does every event have a winner? Or do you have to earn points in every event to win a larger title? I also have the same questions about what exactly is asked of the dogs?

How about the NAHRA tests?

Sorry for all the questions, but

Superfish, I will try and answer your questions. You are right, Hunt tests you are going against the standards in a Field trial you are judged and are competing against other dogs.

1) I believe the standards are pretty laxed in a sense that if your dog gets the birds you basically pass. I think!!

2) Juniors would be mostly singles & doubles. Land marks & water. No Blinds.

3) I believe that each level, Junior, Senior & Master you need 5 passes to get your title.

4) With each level the marks do get longer but even in the Master I don't believe they get much longer than 200yards.

Field trials are different from Hunt tests in the manner of there is a winner in each stake. You have 4 places and sometimes Jams(Judges Award of Merit)meaning you finished but didn't have enough to place.

1) To title your dog in a field trial setting (FC=Field Champion AFC=Amateur Field Champion) you accumulate points from your places with a win needed. I believe you need 10-11 points to title the dog but you need the win. You can have 15 points but if you don't have the win you won't be titled.

Derby Stakes are for dogs under the age of 2. Generally 2 sets of water marks & 2 sets of land marks.

Qualifying is for any age dog and you can run this stake as long as you want or until your dog wins twice in this stake.

Triples are usually the marks, land & water one of each then you will have a blind of each. The distances of the marks & blinds are in the 200 yard range.

Open & Amateur stakes are for dogs that have moved up the chain and now are running against the best.

Quads with 1& 2 retired guns both on the water marks & the land marks. Blinds that have poison birds or scented points are the norm. The marks are usually very long and very difficult.

I hope this helps. If you need me to be more specific on some the answers let me know.

I don't know anything about the NAHRA, SORRY.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.

GOOOD LUCK!!!!

You might be interested in checking out the U.S. Open Pheasant Championship at the Minnesota Horse and Hunt on April 5-8. Puppies classes will be running on Thursday and Friday if you wanted to check out similar age dogs. You can also check out the tournamenthunter or nbdca HSOforum.