• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nikon lens compatibility SLR to Digital SLR

Ok, I think I'm officially into the exploration and research stage of getting a Digital SLR. I currently have a Nikon N2000. My question is, if I go with a Nikon Digital SLR will my current lenses be compatible with the new digital body? Thanks.

Andy

Andy, in most cases lenses for SLR make the switch to DSLR. But not in all cases. Depends partly on how old the lens is and how far up the manufacturer's quality line they are. I suggest you supply a list of your Nikon lenses here and likely someone with that equipment can give you a substantive reply. If no one here has that specific knowledge, check with Nikon customer service online via e-mail or just call National Camera in the Twin Cities.

One note. If you're going digital SLR, remember that the lens rating in mm is multiplied by the camera's crop factor. The Nikon D50 and D70 crop factor is 1.5, so a 100mm lens on one of those bodies has the equivalent of 150mm in power. Great for telephoto, not so hot for wide angle.

Thanks, I will do that, thought I just came up with an idea. We use the D70s body where I work. I may just bring my lenses in from home and see if they are compatible and maybe take some sample shots. Honestly, though I haven't dug in enough to know what brand I'd like to go with, but if I can save some money initially by not having to buy additional lenses it could definately sway me towards the Nikon side of things.

Andy

Ok I think it may work. I brought my lenses in from home to work this morning and they fit just fine on the body. Here are a couple shots. Sorry for the POOR, POOR quality. I'm pretty much embarrased to even post them. Just take in mind that the one was shot through my office window and that I didn't mess around with the settings at all. Obviously there is going to be a great learning curve, but I think it may be doable at least for starting out and learning until better glass could be purchased.

Body: Nikon D70s

Lens: Soligor 75-205mm Macro

Andy

abfc3op.jpg

dsc00035gb.jpg