• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Canon vs. Nikon (Ford vs. Chevy)

I agree. A key difference that may not be important to you at all is that the D50 is a 6 megapixel camera, the XT an 8 megapixel. If you just want to use the images online or make prints or moderate enlargements, that's absolutely no issue at all. I mean, a 6 megapixel RAW image can be enlarged with excellent quality to 20x30 and beyond. So it's only if you're making really large fine art prints that the megapixel difference should concern you. One other issue is cropping. With an 8 Mp image, you can crop more out and still get a high quality image than with a 6 Mp. But these considerations are far less important to the vast majority of amateur DSLR shooters than how the camera fits in your hand and whether you like the way the controls work.

The XT, for example, is just too small for my hand, and the ones I've picked up and shot with really need the add-on battery grip to fit me right. The D50 is bigger. When I switched completely to digital a couple years back, I looked very carefully at Canon and Nikon. I'd been a Canon shooter, but didn't have any decent lenses, so converting to Nikon and its lenses would've been no more sweat than buying top-line Canon glass.

After comparing the two, I chose Canon in the end for a lot of reasons, some of them unique to me, but this isn't the place to get into that type of debate. For what you want, the D50 and XT will both suit your needs beautifully.

Go into a store that handles both. Try them out. See how they feel, how they move and fit in your hand, how the controls work, which grip is the most comfortable. Plan to spend an hour or two comparing those things and then go with what you want. Don't pay attention to the store clerk's recommendation unless you know him/her personally. Store clerks often favor one brand over another based on which one they are overstocked on and have to move.

Good luck, and we're here to answer any other questions you've got. grin.gif