• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

It's all about water levels and water temps when it comes to steelhead. That last warm snap and heavy rain should have really brought in or moved up some very good numbers of fish. I think the problem now may be too much water. This sold snap will drop water temps again and slow down fish activity and push fish into a holding pattern in deeper runs adjacent to spawning gravel.

I don't get out much steelheading anymore, usually just once or twice a year for a few days. But when I do, I still really love it.

Hopefully we get some reports going on here and can share some info...

Any reports from the Manistee? Never fished it been before but I'm heading over there the first weekend of april to give it a try w/ my bro, hoping to still hit primetime. Any local tactics for shore fishin? I'm planning on flippin yarn and the bro may try bait and bobber or hardware. Tithlines to all who venture!

redhooks

Be prepared for combat style, shoulder to shoulder fishing. The north side of the river gets the most pressure because it has easy access. I usually fish the south side and then head down stream away from the dam. I like to drift frsh cut spwn bags below a bobber or will drift flies on a 3-way dropper. Hardware like wobble glows also work well when the fish are actively spawning. If you get in between access spots, you will minimize competition. There are many spots on the river that you or a buddy will need to be a bit of a mountain goat to actually land fish, but the funs in the fight right...and you have hook them to land them.

Remember this is pretty big water. I use a 13' fast action custom rod and a very long cast reel to chuck my bobbers long distances. I like 6 or 8# main line and then adjust the leader according to conditions. If you go heavier, you'll cut your hook up's down. If you go lighter you'll probably get spooled by anything of size, because following fish downstream for any great distance in most areas is impossible. They run the river at "two-wheels" most of the time and try to maintain a constant flow. There is a HSOforum that has actual real time flow data, water levels, water and water temp graphs, but I can't remember the site's name. You'll have to google it. Any more questions, I'll try to help. Oh yah, if the river is dead, make sure you have your pier/surf casting stuff. The browns and spawned out kelt action can be hot off the piers on Lake Michigan. Be prepared!

Thanks for all the info Little John!

Sounds like your a veteran on those waters! I'm used to trying for loopers on the north shore of superior and am anxious to see how lake michigan treats us. Also a big thank you for the fishing pier idea, always good to have a backup plan! BTW-what's a spawned out kelt?

redhooks

A steelhead that survives the rigors of spawning (not all will survive) and is on it's way back to the lake is called a kelt. Kelts are pretty hungry. However, they don't generally feed aggressively right after their done spawning. It sometimes takes a day or two as they slowly drop back down stream, headed back out to the lake. They will often linger near the pier heads/river mouths if the food is plentiful, like smelt or alewives.

I also generally bring my ice gear with me too. You know, just in case. That's why I drive the biggest SUV ever conceived of...a Quigley 4x4 super van. It goes anywhere and can take me, all my gear and 4 other passengers too. Check it out:

th_100_1945.jpg

Thanks for the info Little John! Nice lookin rig-looks like it would work as a SUV as well as an RV. We're leaving tomorrow and I hope to be fishing the Manistee friday and sat-I'll post some results when I get back. Tightlines to all!

Redooks

Well we just made it back from the 13 hour trek from Big Rapids Mi to Grand Rapids MN. It was a fun weekend in some beautiful country. Friday we scouted out the manistee river up by the tippy dam and then drove down to the big lake for a few casts off the pier but it was windy and rainy so we had to find a nice brewpub in Luddington to warm up in. Saturday we got up early and fished the suicide hole below the (Contact US Regarding This Word) and I managed to catch a nice chrome hen on a spawn sac and a couple little bonus browns on flies. It was a fun fishing and we saw a dozen steelies caught as well as some nice walters up to 8lbs. The combat fishing wasn't as bad as I've seen in Ak and I'm definetly planning on going back either in the fall for the king run or next spring for steelhead again. Thanks for the info Little John and good luck to anyone wetting a line out there!

redhooks