• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

More on field bred cocker spaniels

Big Dave2

I want to thank Labs4me for taking the time to answer my question in another thread about field bred cockers. I would like to find out even more info on these intriguing little dogs if there is anyone else out there who knows anything about them.

How much difference is there between the english and american field bred cockers? I see labs4me has his heart set on an american. Is there a specific reason?

Does anyone know of any reptutable breaders in the TC area? I would like to see some of these dogs for myself. I realize if there are any breeders around they will be breeding the english variety. I am probably wrong but I only know of 1 breeder of the American strain in the U.S. and it is in California.

Any information that anyone could offer me would be of great help and greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Dave, I see you found the breeder of Americans in California, There are acouple more in New York and I found one a couple years back in WI, but I cannot for the life of me find his name again. They are starting to make a resurgence and I anticipate a somewhat of a "comeback" of sorts once people are reacclimated with the "true" type of American Cocker. If you start with one breeder you will learn of more in talking to each of them, as they all know each other.

There are a couple of breeders of the English variety here in MN. One kennel is in North Branch and they are committed to breeding a "true" type English Cocker. Look at their photos and you can see the have not been bastardized by the show people. From what I know of them, I would definitley give them a look. If the "right" puppy from an American breeding doesn't happen in the next 1-2 years, I may go the English route and will be talking in depth with these guys.

As far as why I chose the American over English... size, looks, minimal inherited disorders and what the breeders I've contacted have told and shown me what their dogs can do. Plus there is a little nostalgia thrown in the equation. My Grandpa and another older gentleman who helped to start me off on hunting, have pics from the 30's and 40's with their Cockers and piles of birds. I listened to their stories about what great little dogs they were and how disappointed they became once it became nearly impossible to find another field bred Cocker. They hunted over many other dogs throughout the years and swore those Cockers were the best bird dogs they hunted over. The American really do remind me of little labs in all they do.

If you need any more breeders to talk to, let me know. I can get you a couple names to start off with.

Good Luck!

Ken

We own a shooting preserve and for the flushers are using more English Cockers than labs. Have all the drive and desire of a lab without the size. They make great family additions. We got ours from a breeder in Hampton, Iowa (near Des Moines). He even meets people(usually at Cabelas in Owatonna) with their pup. If you would like the name email me at:

suellwngr at yahoo (Contact US Regarding This Word)

We love those little dogs

There are several excellent English Cocker breeders right here in Minnesota and they make one heck of a hunting dog. Go to and there is a lot of information there on both Field Bred English Cockers and Springer spaniels.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again]

I was at Barnes & Noble this a.m. and noticed that there was an article on English Cockers in the April/May issue of Gun Dog magazine. Didn't read so I can't say much about it but it might provide some more info for those interested.

Goes back to the flusher vs. pointer thing... also the field bred Cockers tend to make decent water dogs... and the demeanor between the two breeds is a little different. Both are great breeds, just depends on which you desire...

Good Luck!

Ken

Hi,

I recently purchased a pup from the kennels that Sue mentioned. I did quite a bit of research and spoke with several owners including Sue, and decided they were the breed for me. While I prefer pointing dogs this breed tends to have better inate water and retrieving skills. This has certainly proved out so far for me. My pup is a 3 mo old liver male and a happy drivey terror. I am very pleased but still need to see how a 30 pd dog handles phesants. I have had retreivers and a drathaar and like a bigger dog but needed something smaller for the house. It should be noted that everone I talked to said that they are excellent hunters. Anymore questions? You can email me at [email protected]

Reed

No fear, No meaness, No envy.

Quote:

Goes back to the flusher vs. pointer thing... also the field bred Cockers tend to make decent water dogs... and the demeanor between the two breeds is a little different. Both are great breeds, just depends on which you desire...

Good Luck!

Ken

In what ways would you say the demeanor is different?

Thanks,

Dave

Although they are both spaniels their personalities as a group tend to differ, much as labs, goldens and chessies are all retrievers but as a group they tend to be different. Individual animals will vary even among the breed.

I guess from the Cockers I've seen, withtout sounding redundant are "like" labs, only merrier. I have several friends with Britts and they are all very nice family dogs, just maybe a little more stoic... more "work about". This is not meant as a knock, they are friendly and have a personality all their own, just that the Cockers remind me more of what I am already used to.

Good Luck in your search, it is best to really acclimate your self with both breeds so you can make your decision based on what you see and feel.

Good Luck!

Ken