• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Odd Behavior

Mr. B

Guys I need a little advice.

My 4 year old lab started acting strange last night. Panting, whimpering every now and then, every ten minutes or so she would stretch or get up and chase her tail. She would also not leave either my wife or my side. It got to the point that she was up on the bed trying to curl up on the pillows between my wife and I. This is very odd behavior for Maggie.

This morning she eat just like she always does ran and barked when we let her out. But when she came in she started acting odd again.

We made a vet appointment for today. Anybody have any ideas? Sitting at work trying to not to think about it is not working.

Thanks for any help

Should have mentioned that she has been spayed. So am I pretty confident that she is not pregnant. If she is I am going to have a long discusion with my vet.

After the trip to the vet I found out that Maggie had swollen or full Anal Glands. After the cleaning out she is as good as new.

I had thought I had smelled some awfull stuff but nothing like this. When he asked me to open the window in the exam room I thought he was kidding. WOW he was not! He needs to charge more for that service. He asked if I wanted to be taught how to take care of this I responded nope you are the trained professional I will leave it up to you.

The vet kept asking me if Maggie was really sick or acting strange, due to the fact Maggie was bouncing off the walls with all the new smells and small furry chew toys (cats)running around. But she calmed right down when he examined her. After an exam from the tip of her nose to the end of her tail and her gland cleaning she was pronounced a very fit and healthy dog.

Thanks for all information.

Quote:

I had thought I had smelled some awfull stuff but nothing like this.

Vet did that to my dog last visit as well. Ain't that just the NASTIEST smell ever? He said that normally the gland does not get that bad as it is "self cleaning" when the dog dumps. I know where ya are comming form though! Have a good one and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

I just seen this proceedure done on the TV show "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery. Prior to the show I'd never heard of it before. I wasn't sure if it was true or not even. But it totally disgusted me. I'm with you, I'll pay the vet ANY amount so I wouldn't have to do that!