• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pics through a spotting scope

Sorry if this is old news in this forum- I don't get in here too often. Please redirect me if this is covered fairly frequently.

I'm thinking about getting set up to take pics through a spotting scope. Basically, I know nothing about how to do this. I know very little about photography and I know very little about spotting scopes, so please keep your responses at about a fourth grade level. grin.gifgrin.gif

I've got a digital camera that I generally like- it's appropriate for me given that it's pretty dummy proof. It's an HP R707. It's got a fairly decent zoom, but nothing like I'm hoping for- I'd like to be able to take picturs of muleys at a mile or so. What do I need to get for equipment? Can I make this current camera work at all? What spotting scope specs should I be looking for? What do I need to attach a spotting scope to the camera? I've asked at a couple places in Fargo and none of the sales people really knew diddly, so I thought I'd refer to the experts here. Should have been where I started in the first place...

Scoot:

I've never done it, but it's called "digiscoping." Do a Google search for "digiscope" and you should find a bunch of info. I must say, the digiscoped images I've seen posted online are disappointing, but that may be operator error, not a limitation of the equipment. I have heard, however, that the image quality is pretty limited.