• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU........

I THINK I AM GOING TO BE HEADING OUT THAT WAY MARCH 17TH. WE ARE GOING TO FISH WAUBAY UNLESS PLANS CHANGE BEFORE THEN. ANYWAY, I HAVE NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE SO IS THERE ANY INFORMATION THAT YOU COULD HELP ME OUT WITH? I WOULD LIKE TO TARGET WALLEYES FIRST..........

THANKS!

IF YOU WOULD RATHER E-MAIL ME [email protected]

Harpoon,

March 17th is a tough time to judge. It's directly in the middle of the ice and no ice period. Normally Waubay has 2.5-3 feet of ice on it by now. Last I heard it has around 18-21" of ice. I can't say whether or not that will still be around in 3 weeks. I'd like to say yes, but I'm not confident it will be ice worthy of driving on. 4-wheelers maybe.

I guess the first question would be how do you plan on fishing? Ice? Walk-on or 4-wheeler? It’s a huge lake, and walking on really narrows down your options.

If you have drivable ice, I’d probably stay towards the north end of the lake. School Bus area or Grenville. I’ve done well near the tree with an American Flag on it during the late season. Fishing near a “pressure” ridge or heave is another good thing to try, but be extremely cautious of the ice. You might try looking at a map that shows breaklines and find an area where there is a hump or hole. I’d personally try to get on a point where it there is a good break from 10 – 18 FOW or so.

Your best bet on walleyes on ice is low light periods. Be on the ice 2 hours before sun-up and at least 2 hours after sundown. Sundown and Sunup (give or take an hour) should be your busiest times, however there are occasions and places where the walleyes might bite all day long.

I’d recommend using a plain hook #6 or #4 (maybe even glow or red) with a flathead minnow on at least 2 rods. I’d jig one rod full time starting with a jigging rapala and if they seem to prefer live bait more, put on some sort of jigging spoon tipped with a flathead.

At that time of year, I'd even consider throwing in the long rods and casting jigs off the grade at Grenville. The very south end of the lake can give up nice eyes casting from shore at first ice out.

If I'm too vague, please let me know and I can give more details. I'm just not sure some of the specifics on what you are planning on doing.

Here's an idea. Waubay is known for some monster pike action in March! Maybe rig up some tip ups for pike just in case the walleye/perch bite is slow. Talk to the guys at the baitshop for locations to try. A few years ago, my buddies had five pike over 20 lbs in one day!

Give it a shot!

ALRIGHT, THANKS GUYS. WELL RIGHT NOW THE PLAN IS TO BRING THE PERMINATE OUT THERE. IT IS A 8x24 SO WE WILL HAVE TO MAKE SURE THE ICE CONDITIONS ARE SAFE. WE HAVE A WHEELER WITH TRACKS SO WE CAN PULL IT WITH THAT IF NEED BE. WE ALSO HAVE PORTABLES SO IF WE HAVE TO BRING THOSE INSTEAD WE WILL DO THAT. I GUESS MY MAIN QUESTION WAS REGARDING THE AREA TO FISH SINCE IT IS SUCH A BIG BODY OF WATER.

I've always done better on the North half during late season. Don't be afraid to poke a few holes in 11-14FOW. The shallower eyes might be agressive all day long where the deeper eyes seem to be mostly a sunset-sunrise deal.

Another area to consider would be the refuge area. I had some of the best late ice fishing there last season. That would not allow you to use any motorized vehicles however. Also, the area I was fishing was a mile walk from the ranger station. It was worth it when I caught my limit of crappies, walleyes, and perch. I was the only one fishing the area. If you are interested in directions, I can e-mail you where to find them.

iceguy, I'd be happy to hear from you grin.gif I'm at brandjenn at charter dot net.

I'm headed out to the Waubay area Saturday and will be in touch with the bait shops as well to see whats shakin' on Waubay. We head out there each year, at least for the past 4 years now in March to fish perch and walleye. Of course I don't have a lake map (I'd have a goldmine of spots had I keep a map) of Waubay but I always check with the shop on ice conditions.

If I'm remembering right, I believe we fished just in front of the refuge last year and did real well. But we had to move around to stay on top of them.