• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thorne/Wolfram tag team.

CrappieJohn

I did some fishing this morning mainly to check the performance of some of Thorne Bros. spring bobbers and Wolfram ice jigs. What a tag team combo they are.

I didn't have a ton of time so I opted to drive out on the lake and went right to where I knew a gill bite was happening and got right into them. A 5mm charteuse Wolfram jig/euro combo dangled at 24 feet in 26 feet of water was the key and the spring bobber did exactly what it was supposed to. Several of the even the sunfish bites were upward today with many more a mere breath on that spring and it was flawless. The crappies I got were all uphill and those to were very easy to detect at the hit.

The fish came and went with some regularity and it makes me think they may be getting antsy....it is about that time on this particular lake for them to think about the big shift.

It was a great morning though. Open ice, no shack, sunshine, fish and a couple buds from the site here . What more can a guy ask for.

Quote:

You telling me I need to get some of these Wolfram jigs?

Wouldn't hurt. grin.gif

The Fiskas Wolfram Jigs sold by Your Bobbers Down are very similar to the Little-Atom Optic Stealth jigs as well as the old standy by Marmooska. All of the previously mentioned jigs have a very similar design, that being a heavy jig head molded below the shank of the hook.

The Wolfram jigs have a few things going for them. You can get them in much smaller sizes than an Optic Stealth if so desired. The 3mm is quite the little lure. The are also made of Tungsten which is a little denser and heavier than lead. Which means they fish faster than a comparable sized lead lure. They also have many different color schemes including a variety of glow colors.

I like them. They are going to get a good workout this weekend for the Turtle Lake Ultimate Panfish League event.

I had one tied on last Saturday and was nailing the jumbo perch and some very nice bluegills as well. Caught so many fish and in my haste to quickly remove the fish and drop back down, I busted the hook off just past the barb, only reason I noticed is that my fresh spike fell right off on the hole, I kept using the jig for a couple more fish as I didn't have any left in that size (didn't lose any either), but elected to change after that, didn't want to lose a fat one due to stupidity.

I like them alot. I was pulling up 12" perch and very nice gills out of the same hole using it. I need to get more!!!