• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trailer Cover Question??

hanson

I passed a snowmobile trailer on the highway the other day that was in enclosed, but it was a soft cover. Really looked something like you'd find on a flatbed semi with the bows and the tarplike cover. I saw the name on the side of it but I can't remember it for the life on me and my internet searches have proved useless.

Anyone know who makes these?

Reason I ask, I'm getting sick of dealing with road salt and slush and dump on my sleds.

Last winter, my voltage regulator went out in my 02 ZR600 and fried every single light on the machine. It wasn't too cheap to replace all those lights and I was told it was corrosion from road salt that affected the regulator.

My current problem is my ZR600 is running on 1 cylinder. I haven't brought it into the shop yet I've been so busy. I'm positive I don't have spark on the PTO side. The last couple times I was out riding, I could feel the power kicking in and out when I was at speed. Sometimes I had to feather the throttle a little and it would kick back in. I was out on the lake on Sunday and it finally [PoorWordUsage]ed on me. The sled runs but only on 1 side. I should look closer but based on those symptoms, I don't think I blew a cylinder, or did I? My experience with blowing a cylinder is it just happens, you don't experience the symptoms that I experienced. I put new plugs in out on the lake and it didn't make a difference. I can maybe play around tonight or tomorrow to confirm my spark & compression situation.

Anyway, my gut reaction is that road salt, once again, has affected the electrical and is giving me spark on 1 side.

I don't have a clue about the enclosed trailer info for ya.

I've trailered sleds for many years and never had salt (water) penetrate my snowmobile covers. Are you trailering your sled without a travel cover? The only salt/sand/ damage I get is on front suspension A-arms when the cover is on.

Quote:

I'm positive I don't have spark on the PTO side

Then I don't believe you blew a cylinder. grin.gif Doesn't hurt to check compression though (thumb test to get you by for now). Yes, those symptoms can occur...it did for me once.

Quote:

I passed a snowmobile trailer on the highway the other day that was in enclosed, but it was a soft cover. Anyone know who makes these?

If it was black it was probably these guys.

Sno Cap

I have seen colored Top Caps also but I can't remember who makes them.

Hard to say on your snowmobile problem, but my 88 Indy trail acted similar and it was a burnt piston, but if you have checked spark and don't have it probably not a bad hole.

PierBridge-

Thats it! Thanks. I'm just looking at some options for my trailer and was going to see about pricing on one of those caps.

I'm going to pull the cover off of my sled tonight and do the thumb compression test and also check for spark. I was so p*ssed on Sunday that I just loaded it up and took it home. I was assuming I'd just need to put new plugs in but that obviously isn't the problem. It better not be a cylinder. blush.gif

Hanson,

I have a snocap cover on my trailer and it is great. Very durable. I bought it used, its a 98 and is still in excellent condition.

I noticed the other day that the company (Snocaps) has a brand new one up for sale on hsolist, for an 8.5 x 10 trailer.

If your looking for covered trailer options look at the ones Floe has. I have one of their first "clamshell" trailer caps with a drive on drive off trailer. Works good. I would recommend looking at the 8 1/2 x 12 ' trailer with the cap that has nose and tail cones that pop open for access. Looks like a little better design. Not sure if you are looking for a new trailer or just a top.

Quote:

Not sure if you are looking for a new trailer or just a top.

Maybe both. grin.gif All depends on what the dealership tells me on my sled.

Probably wouldn't buy one before next winter but I would really like to upgrade to a longer trailer, about 14' or so w/ a V-front drive-on/drive-off. I would like the extra space on the back for my Otter Lodge.

Hanson,

You probably saw me on the road since it seems the trailer has been going all winter smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif(lucky me!!!)I put the Sno Cap on my 10 ft tilt trailer this year and really like it. They made the aluminum frame to the specs of my trailer and then provided me with the canvas and tie downs to attach it. It was kind of a bear to stretch the canvas over the frame because it is so tight, which also makes it nice and not flap in the wind. I got mine during the snowmobile show at the convention center so I got a discounted (show)price. They were also at Haydays if you want to want and see it set up. They had a deal going at haydays also.

I did some research on this and found another company called Toesters. They have different colored soft side covers. I also saw them at Haydays and was not impressed at all. Looked very cheap, and like rocket science to set up. I talked to a couple guys that retured the set after ordering it. They are less expensive than Sno Caps.

Over all I am very satisfied with the Sno Cap and would recommend them to anyone looking for a more reasonablly priced alternative to the fiberglass ones.

Let me know if you have anymore questions I could answer?

Matt

Hanson:

You might have a stator issue with that sled. I have a flow chart for diagnosing Electrical issues, If you want to try it I think I can hunt it up. If it is the stator you can get them rebuilt which is a lot less money than new.

A number of guys have mentioned the stator now. I believe "leader" posted that the EFI sleds have stator problems because to the bigger demands the EFI places on the electrical.

Wonderful! The one thing I love about that sled causes problems with it. grin.gif

Anyway, its in the shop right now and I haven't received "the call" yet. At least I have an idea what worst case scenario may be when they call.

I dont remember exactly, but it was a hundred or two off the regular price. I think I paid $1050.00 or something close to that. If they dont deal on them now wait until next year at Haydays or the other snowmobile shows and I am sure they will have "show specials."

Matt