• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Vexler FL-18 - - - - Help- - - -

A friend bought and gave me a new Vexler FL-18. I watched the video but still don't quite understand it, and a few questions remain - - - -

First I fish mostly Grand Lake, Shadow Mt, Grandby, 11 Mile, Dillon, Chatfield & Boyd. Gonna try Wolford & Willow Creek.

1st - Should I get the S-Cable???

2nd - Should I get a back-up battery???

After fishing 12-14 hrs (daytime) will the battery

fully re-charge say from 10pm - 6am???

3rd - I've got the 12 degree transducer -

Should I get the dual beam 9 & 19 degree

transducer???

I know I'm a computer newbie, - now it seems I'm a Flasher newbie also. Do these things really work and are these things really worth that kinda $$$$$ - ?????

Any Response will be Greatly Appreciated - -

Good Luck Fishin -n- Keep Yer Line Wet - - -

Sharkbait

I fish with mine in 15-30 feet of water.

Not sure what the S-Cable is?

I have fished 12 hours with a fully recharged batter...dont over charge it.

I've got the 12 degree transducer and for the lakes I fish it always is right on the money even when the bite is light.

The NORM position is usually a good start. I keep my gain at about 4-5 (if you press on the gain knob it can tune down your power if you are fishing next to a marcum)

The mode should be on 1x.....if you dont get the bottom...usually a larger red area identifies the bottom, then turn the mode to 2x and so on. 1x marks to 20 ( out er markings from 0 to 20 then 2x start multipying by the mode number. LP (but the same reading as NORM) is lighter frequency for shallower waters...

Once your dialed in on NORM or LP and can see the bottom. FIsh will be smaller sections of red (if your right on them) or smaller green sections.

Move to AZ - which is a zoom mode. The left inside scale is focuses on the bottom six inches and then the right side 0-20 is your depth...mulitpy here again on mode 2x, 3x, etc.

When in doubt drop a big spoon or weight and watch the vex...

BL i never use....locks on the bottom.

Is it for sale?

No it's not for sale. A good friend of mine bought it for me and I don't quite understand it, Mostly needed to know about a back-up battery and the dual transducer. Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Sharkbait

i have had my fl 18 for 3 years and have never needed a spare battery, i charge it every night after use. i bought the marcum quick chargers for both of my vex's and these will charge them after a full day of use in about 2 to 3 hours. the standard vex chargers take twice that long.

Quote:

Move to AZ - which is a zoom mode. The left inside scale is focuses on the bottom six inches

In AZ (AutoZoom) the left side displays the bottom six feet (not inches - I'm sure that was a typo) no matter what depth you are fishing. It's really handy given the fact that most of the fish you will catch in Colorado are usually within the bottom six feet.

Unless I'm fishing in really shallow water, I am almost always in AZ mode.

The 12 degree transducer should do you just fine.

I have a second battery, too, but I've never needed it since they charge so quickly.

Hope this helps.

Sharkbait,

You won't need the s-cable for the fl-18. When you switch to the shallow water mode on this unit you get the same effect. The s cable is a suppression cable that limits that power going through transducer. I won't get into the logistics of this but you can read more about that and a variety of other topics at vexilar.com

And if the articles don't satisfy your quest for information, either give me a call, email, or contact one of the vexilar ambassadeurs direct through the HSOforum. Hope this helped.

hibanks,

the only time you'd use bottom lock is when there is excessive wave action. You may already know this, but I'm posting for anyone who may not. When the bow of the boat hits the crest and moves down to the trough of each wave, the bottom signal displayed on the unit moves with it. Bottom lock keeps the visual display of the bottom stable even though the transducer is moving.