• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ICE

himjunkie13

Welcome to FishingMinnesota!

I saw a post about jig color in another forum, but will answer your questions together here.

Panfish will be taken by several jigging methods. When the bite is on, a more aggresive jigging style will be tolerated by these fish. If they have been fished hard and are getting shy, then spring bobbers and smaller jigs tipped with a waxie or a Eurolarva jigged slow seem to trip their trigger.You may have to work through a few different jig styles to connect. Sometimes a jig that hangs horiztonally off the line will take them while at other times a jig that comes off the line straight up and down works better.

There is no one way of jigging that is "best" and everyone developes his/her own techniques. Don't be afraid to do things that seem a bit off the wall to you when the fish are not exactly cooperative....keep in mind that they are not hitting to begin with and you may stumble across a new way to trick them. Being creative in your approach to fishing and keeping an open mind towards changing trends can be a bigger plus to the fisherman than a box full of tackle. The tackle can be only as effective as you make it.

Jig color was a question in the ice forum and that will be by far the toughest challenge for you, or any, fisherman. Glow Red is a really popular panfish and crappie color. The panfish family have eyes that can pick this color out of anything. Of all the colors, blue is least productive for me when I fish panfish and crappies. All of the other colors well well at times.

Time of day, ice thickness, water color, weather conditions will all come into play in the color game. Believe it or not, so will current factors and bug hatches along with moon phases.

Color is not limited to the jigs either. New plastics that are being produced to for down sizing (finesse plastics)all come in a wide range of colors with some that even glo in true color. Baits such as Euro larva are available in four or five different colors too. There are times when the plastic color and bait color become a far more elemental tool to catch fish than anything thing else you buy to fish with.

I wish there was some way to say that there was a short cut to all of this information, but sadly there is not. Simply going out and trying different things is the real teacher and it is a long row to hoe.

If I were to go out today to fish and didn't have any tckle with me, I'd go find a red glow JBLures Jigging Eye in 1/16 ounce along with 1 glow chartreuse and 1 glow red, both in size 6, Custom Jigs and Spins Jigging Demon. Then I would head to the rest of Custom Jigs and Spins tackle and find the Shrimpos and Ratsos. I'd look for the size 8 and size 12 stuff. I'd get the glow heads with body plastics in orange, chartreuse and green in both styles. I'd get the same sizes in the Ratsos and Shrimpos with a gold head and black bodies and purple bodies. A couple horizontal Tears in different colors, say one in pink/white and one in chartreuse/white from, JBLures (size 10) would round out the lure selection. With these lures, you will be able to cover the agreesive fish right down to the finicky ones. You will be able to move around the color scene with ease and still provide a change in profile. The size 10 Horizontal Tear from JB, tipped with a minnow head or a waxie (preferred) is a real good all-round lure to start fishing with on a dead stick style of rod while you jig the Jigging Eye or he Jigging Demon on the other line.

Jig the demon or Jigging Eye UP thru the water column slowly and past the depth that the dead stick bait is at, but watch for the hits to come to the dead stick. The active jig may attract the fish but the fish may prefer the quiet bait. This is a good way to start because it will allow the fish to tell you what they want as far as presentation goes. There will be days when that larger profiled Jigging Eye will take the bulk of your fish and very possibly the largest fish. Other days those jigging spoons will give better service when left in the tackle box.

I hope this will help you get part way through the maze of things to know ice fishing creates for the beginner. It really is a time/experience thing. You have crossed the first couple of hurdles now and the others you'll come to will get easier in time.

Again....welcome to the FM site and family!

himjunkie13,

If you get an opportunity, find a clear water lake that has weeds shallow...like 6 FOW or so. then do "sight fishing". If you don't have a fishhouse, drill a hole, lay on something so you dont get wet, and cover your head with something like a coat or blanket. Drop your jig down the hole...try different jigging styles and see how the fish react to your presentation. Call them in with aggressive jigging motion, then slow it way down. Sometimes, if you jiggle your bait just a tad too much, like not much more than a tap on the line with your finger, they back away. You musk keep it almost still for them to bite at times! It's amazing how much you can learn from doing this.

there should be a WARNING along with this sight fishing style!!if you are jumpy; when doing this you may have a big toothy critter slowly slide into your opening and scare the *&^*&^ out of you! grin.gif trust me!!

Now that would be a sight....Delmuts covered in an old rug, trying to get up off slick ice really fast with a rod in one hand and his spit cup in the other. A guy would definitely want a video camera. I can see the title now...."Who Goosed the Moose?" lol